Chez Jacquet

Submissions for tune chords and licks

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Chez Jacquet

Postby djangology » Mon May 05, 2003 10:12 pm

I heard that Romane and Angelo both wrote out tablature for this tune. Can anyone email me a photocopy of any tablature or a text file? The Gadjo Drom site doesn't have it. I figure that i should tackle a second waltz after Montagne Ste. Genevieve.
djangology

Postby nwilkins » Tue May 06, 2003 8:54 pm

it's really easy to figure out the lead part (and the chords) from a record. It would be a useful exercise to improve your ear as well :D
nwilkins

Postby djangology » Tue May 06, 2003 10:54 pm

i posted this entry NOT for advice on figuring it out by ear, but because through the grapevine i had heard that those two transcriptions already existed as scanned pages (hopefully jpeg images) and i was hoping to find one of them. more specifically, i was hoping someone could share one of them with me if they have it.
djangology

Postby nwilkins » Wed May 07, 2003 2:26 pm

Sorry to offend you Jon - I just think it's very beneficial to wean oneself off reliance on transcriptions in order to help to develop the ear.
nwilkins

Postby djangology » Wed May 07, 2003 5:09 pm

well, this will be only the second waltz that i learn and so technically i dont yet have a "reliance". i suspect that after i learn a few waltzes they will be easy to figure out. i look at the transcription as more of an arpeggio exercise that i can analyze against the chord progression and learn something from. its possible that i can figure it out by ear but i am currently spending my time memorizing rhythm parts and i cannot get distracted by spending hours figuring this out at this point. i recognize the importance of having an ear but its also important to allow each and every one of us decide the way in which we approach our own learning process instead of getting snubbed by people who dont want to share. i learned more from Djangos Waltz than i learned from any other song and i expect that Chez Jacquet will be just as eye opening. in any case, if i were to aquire that transcription it would no doubt help me out immensly.
djangology

Postby nwilkins » Wed May 07, 2003 6:36 pm

I wasn't snubbing you and refusing to share. :roll:
I don't have the transcriptions, but even so I figured out the song myself and it was easy so I thought you might be encouraged by this to try it out since you don't have the transcriptions either. I find it pretty ridiculous that you're implying I am somehow hindering you from learning your own way by merely SUGGESTING something.
nwilkins

Postby djangology » Wed May 07, 2003 7:04 pm

thanks for encouraging me. i haven't actually tried to figure it out but i will give it a try. i don't expect to be successful but i'll see what happens. i'm still a beginner and so it will be tough...
djangology

Postby Phydeaux3 » Mon May 12, 2003 7:41 pm

There a Tab version in a book called Django Reinhardt - Undiscovered printed by International Music Publications Ltd, also includes a CD. See if Zoot can get it for you.
Alors! Un, deux...
Phydeaux3

Postby djangology » Mon May 12, 2003 8:56 pm

well... after listening to the Raphael Fays version of this song, im not sure if i'll ever be able to play it. i think that if Zoot has a transcription of any kind, i would probably buy it...
djangology

Postby Zoot » Tue May 13, 2003 8:38 pm

You can get the pages you need for a short while at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/janis.mcnamara/index.html

I'll be pulling them down soon for obvious reasons
Zoot
Site Admin

Postby djangology » Wed May 14, 2003 12:14 am

thanks Zoot... i got it. you are very very cool to have done that for me. i'll order something really big from you sometime... :-)
djangology

Postby Zoot » Wed May 14, 2003 12:54 am

Ka Ching 8)
Zoot
Site Admin

Return to Tunes