Paprika

Submissions for tune chords and licks

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Postby Dan » Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:50 am

I've been searching on Amazon and can't seem to find it? Is there anywhere (preferably in the US) where I can get this soundtrack?
Dan

Postby justjack » Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:40 am

I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious. If you look at this:
http://www.clubtabou.co.uk/source/paprika.jpg
and then check out Colin's Gypsy Jazz Chord Book vol.2, you'll see that changes were made for the final edition (specifically, the second eight bars of each section). I'm just wondering if anyone (Phydeaux? Vix?)knows where the inspiration for the changes came from. A certain recording? A certain jam? I'm so used to the older version that it's hard for me to 'hear' the latest one, and I think it would help to have some reference point.

Thanks much,
Jack.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby fmason » Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:03 am

justjack wrote:I wonder if there isn't a way to add a blank grid template to the reply page, some icon, that, when clicked, inserts a standard size blank grid into the reply, just waiting to be filled with all those lovely chords.

Making an editable "grille" inside of your forum posting is pretty complex. Better to link to an image in the posting which will load when the viewer opens it:

Example - I typed in (without the quotes):
"[img]http://www.gypsyjazzjam.com/djangologygccs.gif[img]"
and here it is:

If the forum admin wants to put standard chord diagrams on the web server, we could all post chords like this:
"[img]chords/Am6.gif[/img] [img]chords/Dm6.gif[/img] [img]chords/E7.gif[/img]"

which would come out looking like this:
Image Image Image

I guess most people on this forum know what the shapes are however, so maybe that would not be necessary. It's just a matter of formatting the chords so that it's clear how many bars of each chord to play. Lemme get back with a way to do this.
fmason

Postby djangology » Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:19 pm

ACTUALLY.... YOU ARE RIGHT...! IF ZOOT just places a bunch of small image chord diagrams, whenever we want to, when we post, we could use the image diagrams ....

for example, make an image diagram accessible at:

http://www.hotclub.co.uk/min7b5.gif

Hey Zoot, any chance of this?
djangology

Postby justjack » Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:08 pm

What a nice idea the gypsyjazzjam site is...I'd love to see it spread to other cities. Just think-whenever you take a trip, you could find a jam ahead of time, complete with a songlist and sheet music. So simple, yet damn near revolutionary.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby fmason » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:29 am

djangology wrote:ACTUALLY.... YOU ARE RIGHT...! IF ZOOT just places a bunch of small image chord diagrams, whenever we want to, when we post, we could use the image diagrams ...for example, make an image diagram accessible at:

http://www.hotclub.co.uk/min7b5.gif

Yeah exactly, the only thing is we want to make this as simple as possible for the trusty admin. First we must find chord diagrams that we can send to him in a zip file (Anyone have any leads on this?). Usually these images would be dropped into their own directory, for example, they would be in http://www.hotclub.co.uk/phpBB2Plus/images/ . That way they can be referenced using "relative URLs' , such as:
"[img]images/Bbm7[/img]"

instead of having to type:
"\[img]http://www.hotclub.co.uk/phpBB2Plus/images/Bbm7\[/img]"

Also, I would propose that we can have Chord Letter images that just show the chord name in a nice big font, and space out evenly no matter what, so we can make nice grilles in the forum, without wasting download times for instances when chord diagrams are not necessary. For example:

"[img]letters/Bbm7.gif[/img] [img]letters/slash.gif[/img] [img]letters/E9.gif[/img] [img]letters/slash.gif[/img]"

would look like:
Image Image Image Image

Finally, if people want I can temporarily host the images so that we can reference using a wonky URL for awhile until we get this working on the forum.
fmason

Postby djangology » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:37 am

exactly. :-) i hope you guys get that working... :-) it would be useful to have a set of chord images that is generic and then have an additional set of images that show the fingerings also... like having the first set of images and the second set that fmason posted... (see above)

you could put the chord images in the /images/gallery/chords directory maybe...

mabye we should make a bunch of Django avatars also so that Zoot can also upgrade the list of browseable avatars in the forum... ( /images/gallery/avatars/Django )

OR better yet, make a directory called /images/gallery/avatars/Chords and then any of us will be able to browse and look at all the available chord symbols (from the browse avatars button in the profile section of this site)...

what does Zoot think of all this anyway? is he even able to do something like this or is he willing?
djangology

Postby justjack » Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:10 am

Not to quash creativity, but I think we may be getting over the top, here. It seems to me that just having the changes available would be more than enough, and that any odd fingerings could be written out by the poster. (That Bbm7, E9 setup looks great, by the way.) Even with just the changes, there would be a lot to deal with: what's in the bass, etc. The Cosimini books seem, to me, a great (read: easy to comprehend and full of information) thing to base any forum ideas on. Chord name, neck position, bass note. My dream would be to replace the emoticons list with a chord list, but I'm obviously dreaming, here.

Failing all that, though-and I can certainly see why Zoot would take a pass-I'd be happy with all of us agreeing on one (relatively) simple way to post changes.
justjack
Mad For It

This is not a criticism...

Postby campfire » Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:09 am

you did a great job of posting the song for us, and I'm sure it took some work. After much listening, there are a few chord changes and other minor things I heard differently from you, but it's very late, and I don't have the energy to write out my changes. I will point out that in the example you posted, (Tchvalo's version I'm assuming) the form is 3 - 16bar phrases, not 4. The first 16 is correct in form, the last 16 should be in the middle, and the 16 with the Db-C7 ending should be last. The other 16 should be omitted. It's a simple 16-bar form with 3 different endings. Thanks for the great post! My band "Impromptu", will be playing this song soon. Cheers.

Larry Camp
www.impromptujazz.com
www.larrycamp.com (my personal jazz guitar website)
www.impromptujazz.com (my gypsy jazz website)
"Archtops are nice, but a Selmer....ahhhh!"
campfire

Postby djangology » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:42 pm

im not sure if your talking about the changes i posted at the beginning of this thread. i don't use those any more and i would say that they are wrong. currently, i use the Cosimini arrangement and the melody that Tchavalo used in the Japan radio video...
djangology

Postby campfire » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:32 am

djangology,

That's what I get for posting late at night. I didn't even bother to look at the date of your original post, or notice that it was 2 pages long. Never mind.

Larry Camp
www.impromptujazz.com
www.larrycamp.com (my personal jazz guitar website)
www.impromptujazz.com (my gypsy jazz website)
"Archtops are nice, but a Selmer....ahhhh!"
campfire

Postby fmason » Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:36 pm

justjack wrote:...(That Bbm7, E9 setup looks great, by the way.)

Failing all that, though-and I can certainly see why Zoot would take a pass-I'd be happy with all of us agreeing on one (relatively) simple way to post changes.

Thanks for that. After researching extensively, I learned a bit about HTML and why it's hard to have chords line up right in a web browser. First, HTML ignores "whitespace" meaning spaces you make by hitting the space bar. Also, it ignores "newlines" , meaning when you press enter and go to a new line in your document. Finally, fonts that we type in generally are not "monospaced", or "fixed width". That means that a big M might be a lot wider than a small i. So in order to make chord diagrams look right in this forum, we need to use a CSS tag (Cascading style sheet for geeks out there) which forces a fixed width font (called "monospace" in CSS language), and we have to use a special HTML tag called "pre". The pre tag forces whitespace to be acknowledged.

One more problem: how to get the forum to display the HTML correctly... I don't think CSS is supported in the forum right now, but if you paste this into an HTML document and look at it in your web browser, it ought to look OK:

Code: Select all
<html>
<style type="text/css">
h2 {font-family: monospace; font-size: 16pt;}
</style>

<h2>
<pre>
          A       A7      Asus4   Amaj7

A       /       /       /

/       /       E7      /

/       /       /       /

A       /       /       /

D       Ddim    A       F#7

B7      E7      A       /

</pre>
</h2>
</html>

Perhaps we can find out how to enable CSS in the forum?
fmason

Postby djangology » Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:10 pm

some research into phpBB tells me that CSS wont be possible. i still the the image/pictures idea is fantastic. phpBB ALREADY has the capability built into it. the images can be added to the "avatar archive" and we all can access them by using the phpBB embed image capability...

simple, easy, and would be easy for Zoot to do if we had a set of images to give to him and if he was willing...
djangology

Posting chords

Postby fmason » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:24 pm

djangology wrote:some research into phpBB tells me that CSS wont be possible. i still the the image/pictures idea is fantastic. phpBB ALREADY has the capability built into it. the images can be added to the "avatar archive" and we all can access them by using the phpBB embed image capability...

simple, easy, and would be easy for Zoot to do if we had a set of images to give to him and if he was willing...

Yep I am with you there, the images would look best of all, but I think that would be a LOT of avatars, even just for one chord family (A, A7, Am, Am7, Amaj7, Adim, Am7b5, A13, A9, etc....) BTW I was wrong, CSS is not needed as the PRE tag automagically sets a monospaced font. All we need is to have PRE enabled, which would be nice for the time being...
Actually Omigod it IS ENABLED:
<PRE>
This text should be monospaced and here is a some W H I T E S P A C E
</PRE>
fmason

Postby Zoot » Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:44 am

Hi Guys
I'm all in favour of having a set of chord shapes images and not a problem as far as the method we use.
I am looking into haveing them as a set of emoticons so if you type Am6 it will display the Am6 chord image however I think this may cause problems with genuine posters who simply want the text "Am6" in their post.

So we may have to prefix the chord text with something like :Am6

If I get time I'll scan in a set of shapes. If someone has them out there already it would be appreciated.

Steve
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Zoot
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Tunes