Wrong chord

Submissions for tune chords and licks

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Wrong chord

Postby Jono » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:13 pm

Back in February, at the wonderful Gypsy Jazz Guitar workshop held by Jonny & Steve in Brum, I seem to remember a discussion about a chord in the Robin Nolan gig book that was 'wrong'. At the time, I didn't have a copy of the chord book myself but thought I'd made a note of it somewhere. Anyway, a few months down the line I've finally got my own copy of the book but can't find the note I made (if, in fact, I made any such thing) and can't remember what the tune was, never mind the chord.

All I seem to recall from the discussion is that the book had a change (up or down a semitone or tone?) where in fact the original recording stayed on the same chord a while longer - the thrust of the conversation seemed to be that the version in the book was the one people often heard being played.

Can anyone who was there remember what it was (or is anyone who wasn't prepared to have a guess)?
They may be drinkers, Robin, but they're still human beings.
Jono

Postby Caballero » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:58 pm

Hi Jono,
Yeah, I remember that. Although, I don't remember citing any particular book. It came about from a friend of mine whom I was having a personal 'learn' competition with. We both got real obsessed with that wonderful session of Djangos he did over here with Embraceable You , Coquette etc '47 ? My mate Pete had pegged Coq, Emb.Y. and I , lazily, got around to doing Djangos Tiger. He pointed out to me that on the first time round where Django plays the big arppeggio and then repeats it a semi-tone up , the rhythm section appear to stay on the E9, thereby, giving th' man free flight for a bit of creative tension.
So, whenever we jammed it, that's what we did! good fun. However, I'd feel a bit dumb trying to convince everybody I play/jam with to play it like that. I'm kind of laid-back about that sort of stuff , and usually stick in the F9 and get on with the tune. It's a moot point.
Alcohol helps, you can get away with all sorts of shit! :)
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby Zoot » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:50 am

Caballero wrote:Alcohol helps, you can get away with all sorts of shit! :)

I though since your conversion to the cult of Teddy Dupontiism that nare a drop would pass your lips, I maybe wrong, or maybe I was just pissed.
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Zoot
Site Admin

Postby Jono » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:21 pm

Ah, it's all coming back to me...

Thanks!
They may be drinkers, Robin, but they're still human beings.
Jono

Lots of 'em

Postby fmason » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:40 am

...chord in the Robin Nolan gig book that was 'wrong'.

There are lots of wrong chords in the Nolan Book, if by right you mean the chords played in the original Django tunes. For example, Nolan introduces a lot of ii-V changes where just a V is played- I guess he wants it to sound more modern and have more movement. I find it mildly irritating at times because I feel he overuses that a good bit, often introducing ii-Vs all over the place.

In Minor Blues he introduces the Eb7 chord before the last D7 which is implied but not played, much as the F7 over E7 is in the Django's Tiger example you cite. I agree with you that it can sound cool to create the tension and not play that b6 chord there. I guess Django (and many boppers after him) play an F Minor arpeggio in that situation, too, which won't sound as good if the F7 is played there (with the major third).
fmason

Return to Tunes