Bass parts .

Submissions for tune chords and licks

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Bass parts .

Postby Gmajor » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:52 pm

Do bass player's have it easy in playing gypsy jazz what 's so difficult about bass player's please enlighten me cheers.
Gmajor

Postby Gadjo » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:59 am

In no particular order I would guess:

Playing 2 in the bar whilst smiling (this seems to be impossible for most)

Working with guitar players who speed up on slow songs and slow up on roasters..

Getting your instrument on a bus

Playing in tune (see 1 above)

Staying in first and second position ( ie playing BASS notes) - especially during a bass solo

Buying strings at £150 a set

Listening to guitar players moan about the price of a Selmer when your instrument is worth £10K and nobody cares.

Smiling when a punter asks "how do you get that under your chin?"
Gadjo

Postby Ganondorf » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:20 pm

bass is easier because they dont have to play chords and they only have 4 strings.But you always hear them complaining that guitarists have fret markers and bass doesnt(get over it and put some chalk marks on your neck man then you will probably play in tune)!
So then, in conclusion;
all that bass players are,are failed guitarists!
You ask any bass player if they have had a 'dabble' at playing guitar and 99% of them will say yes!

:shock:
Ganondorf

Postby Gmajor » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:21 pm

I was also trying to find a note for note Bass solo to which I could try and perform without a glitch. It seem's to matter when a guitarist misses anote but when the bass misses a beat, a note, a bar even.Infact it sound's better.please tell me more.
Gmajor

Postby Ganondorf » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:29 pm

if im honest,the bass players are not a necessesity as they seem to think but luxury.if you get a couple of guitarists together jamming, they are like a nice chocolate cookie(good texture with a lovely taste of chocolate).The bass players are the chocolate chips(they taste a little bit better whilst in the cookie but you can do without them!
Just look at romane and stochelo playing on theier 'Gypsy jazz masters' dvd/cd :wink:
Ganondorf

Postby Gmajor » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:49 pm

I agree diet follows a Rhythm of patterns.but going back to rhythmic bass this year I saw a sax player using a carrier bag in both hands to pulse and accentuate the beat ive tried it cheaper the bag the better
Gmajor

Postby BluesBopHarry » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:06 am

How many bass players does ir take to change a light bulb?

None, the piano player can do it with his left hand.

OR

100, one to actually change it and 99 to hold to guitar player who insists he can do it better.
BluesBopHarry

Postby Fernando » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:28 am

Ganodorf: Do you really think a bass player is not necesary??? I hope you are joking, if not it means you probably don't listen carefully. In jazz, (cool, hot, gypsy, be-bop, whatever) the bass is the foundation to everything, playing with a bass player makes ALL the difference, it swings so much more. I play guitar myself(straight ahead jazz and gypsy) and I feel 100% more confortable playing with a bass player. For example: imagine the Rosenberg trio without the bass, is it the same??? NO!!!! Just my opinion...

F.
Fernando

big violin

Postby Scouse_mouse » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:21 pm

The next person to say "that's a big violin" will be killed.
Scouse_mouse

Postby Jono » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:46 pm

As Maartin Allcock says, it's quite funny the first 1,000 times...
They may be drinkers, Robin, but they're still human beings.
Jono

Postby Zoot » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:52 am

Fernando wrote:Ganodorf: Do you really think a bass player is not necesary??? I hope you are joking, if not it means you probably don't listen carefully. ! Just my opinion...

We run a quartet 2 gtrs, clarinet and Bass, called Club Tabou, you may have heard of us..................NO oh OK

As a working band we get duo trio and quartet gigs, by your assumption the bass player should be on all the gigs. In fact he is only on the quartet gigs (or if I can't make it he will play on a duo - as a guitarist.
On a trio gig - now your talking.

I agree it always adds depth to a set and as he has now developed some slap style, a laugh too.
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Zoot
Site Admin

Postby Pynchy » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:46 pm

IF A BASS PLAYER MAKES A MISTAKE, YOU WILL KNOW ABOUT IT... IF A GUITARIST MAKES A MISTAKE, HE/SHE CAN GET AWAY WITH IT AND WILL PROBABLY GET APPLAUDED :roll:

bass playing is different disipline.

bass players also add something ....... BASS.
Cods Wolop!
Pynchy

Postby Ganondorf » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:41 pm

:shock:
Ganondorf

Return to Tunes