Page 1 of 1

What Are Your Favorite Beatle Songs For Gypsy Jazz Guitar?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:13 pm
by Elliot
I know, why try and be creative when you can Django-wank to your heart's content and come off sounding like a genius? :shock:

But hey, just on the hunch there might be a few out there who may have considered the possibility and come up with an actual idea or two, just for fun what Beatle songs (or tunes by ex-Beatles) do you think might make a nifty conversion to Gypsy Jazz...and why?


Here's a few I found that might possibly make it to start this off...

Instant Karma - beat converts easily to 4 on the floor format
Bolero Pile:
You're Gonna Lose That Girl - 7ths, m7ths good to go,
Till There Was You - 7ths, 7+5, 7+9
And I Love Her

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:56 pm
by justjack
Actually, Robin Nolan does a nice version of And I Love Her, I think as a bossa or a bolero, I can't recall which. Our lead player has been after me to arrange Blackbird for awhile, but I steadfastly refuse. I do think Something can work surprisingly well, but I'm usually repulsed by jazz covers of Beatles tunes (or the equally bad classical treatments heard on public radio around here).

But to answer your first question, I don't think being creative and "Django-wanking" are mutually exclusive...arguably, it takes more creativity to improvise a few choruses than it would to adapt another tune to the style.

Best,
Jack.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:24 pm
by Elliot
justjack wrote:But to answer your first question, I don't think being creative and "Django-wanking" are mutually exclusive...arguably, it takes more creativity to improvise a few choruses than it would to adapt another tune to the style.


Agreed...actually, I wouldn't consider improvisation wanking by any means, but I think you're really doing something if you can take a tune, make it Gypsy style...and then improvise on it. Isn't this what Django did? Anyhoo...

Anybody else with ideas?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:06 am
by Cuimean
"Till There Was You" was in 3/4 in The Music Man; you could always try a musette-style arrangement.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:09 pm
by justjack
Elliot wrote:
justjack wrote:But to answer your first question, I don't think being creative and "Django-wanking" are mutually exclusive...arguably, it takes more creativity to improvise a few choruses than it would to adapt another tune to the style.


Agreed...actually, I wouldn't consider improvisation wanking by any means, but I think you're really doing something if you can take a tune, make it Gypsy style...and then improvise on it. Isn't this what Django did? Anyhoo...


Ah...I thought you meant just running straight through the Beatles tune...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:36 pm
by Ganondorf
Right then guys,which song are we gonna murder next then? :shock: [/quote]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:27 pm
by Elliot
Ganondorf wrote:Right then guys,which song are we gonna murder next then? :shock:

How about some Ellington, Armstrong, maybe some musette songs?...Oh, wait a second.... :wink:

Re: What Are Your Favorite Beatle Songs For Gypsy Jazz Guita

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:58 pm
by pmh425
Elliot wrote:I know, why try and be creative when you can Django-wank to your heart's content and come off sounding like a genius? :shock:

But hey, just on the hunch there might be a few out there who may have considered the possibility and come up with an actual idea or two, just for fun what Beatle songs (or tunes by ex-Beatles) do you think might make a nifty conversion to Gypsy Jazz...and why?


Here's a few I found that might possibly make it to start this off...

Instant Karma - beat converts easily to 4 on the floor format
Bolero Pile:
You're Gonna Lose That Girl - 7ths, m7ths good to go,
Till There Was You - 7ths, 7+5, 7+9
And I Love Her


I always thought Honey Pie (not Sweet Honey Pie) would be a good choice.