On Green Dolphin Street

Submissions for tune chords and licks

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

On Green Dolphin Street

Postby woodshedder » Sat Sep 06, 2003 4:24 pm

Anyone done this one in PT or TE? Love the Rosenberg Ver...whew!
woodshedder

Postby justjack » Sun Sep 07, 2003 2:12 am

I know this isn't what you asked for (it's a standard chart), but I thought it might help anyway:
http://www.guitar-primer.com/Charts/Chart-800.html
justjack
Mad For It

Postby Swing This! » Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:41 am

what Rosenberg CD is this on? thanks Phil
Swing This!

Postby woodshedder » Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:19 pm

Phil,

good question. i have it on a mix, so i don't really know...but wow, its good!
woodshedder

Postby woodshedder » Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:20 pm

oh, and thanks jack!
woodshedder

Postby nwilkins » Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:57 pm

Seresta of course
nwilkins

Postby woodshedder » Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:35 pm

why of course?
woodshedder

Postby nwilkins » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:10 pm

it is their first and best known album (along with Live at the North Sea) - I believe it's pretty standard fare in most people's collections since it is the quintessential Rosenberg Trio recording (ie no other musicians on it, playing standards) - it is the album that got them known.
nwilkins

Postby Teddy Dupont » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:37 pm

nwilkins wrote:I believe it's pretty standard fare in most people's collections since it is the quintessential Rosenberg Trio recording (ie no other musicians on it, playing standards)

..........and copying Django solos note-for-note.
Teddy Dupont

Postby woodshedder » Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:42 pm

aye!
woodshedder

Postby TedGottsegen » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:19 pm

Teddy Dupont wrote:
nwilkins wrote:I believe it's pretty standard fare in most people's collections since it is the quintessential Rosenberg Trio recording (ie no other musicians on it, playing standards)

..........and copying Django solos note-for-note.

Which just about every major Gypsy who came of age after Fapy has done. Isn't it interesting how when the young gypsies copy these days it's always Stochelo that they are copying? And it isn't Stochelo, than it's everyone copying Jimmy copying Stochelo....
TedGottsegen

Postby djangology » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:49 pm

arent we all just copying each other? so then it would be us copying Stochelo who is copying Fapy whos copying Stochelo who is copying Angelo and Romane whos copying Raphael? actually, i hate saying that any of these guys are copying anyone else because they are all so brilliant. i am glad at least that they all sound a tad different. its refreshing to see some variety within an ever constant musical genre such as this one.
djangology

Postby woodshedder » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:43 am

tchavolo! whew.
woodshedder

Postby Thrip » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:11 am

TedGottsegen wrote:
Teddy Dupont wrote:..........and copying Django solos note-for-note.

Which just about every major Gypsy who came of age after Fapy has done. Isn't it interesting how when the young gypsies copy these days it's always Stochelo that they are copying? And it isn't Stochelo, than it's everyone copying Jimmy copying Stochelo....

I think Teddy's point is that whilst there's nothing wrong with copying Django solos not-for-note, indeed that's the way most of us have learnt to play this style, there's no point in reproducing Django solos on record and in performance, day in day out, which is something that Stochelo is guilty of to a certain extent. Who wants to hear something that has been done already, and better? Personally I'd like to hear Stochelo stretch out a bit, take a few risks. The best playing I've seen him do is in those jam videos where he's more relaxed and less concious of putting on a "show".
Thrip

Postby Teddy Dupont » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:08 am

Thrip wrote:I think Teddy's point is that whilst there's nothing wrong with copying Django solos not-for-note, indeed that's the way most of us have learnt to play this style, there's no point in reproducing Django solos on record and in performance, day in day out, which is something that Stochelo is guilty of to a certain extent.

Indeed it was and Stochelo has been more guilty of this than most. Fapy, for example, has often quoted Django phrases on record but I do not recall hearing him reproduce a complete Reinhardt solo note-for-note and certainly not track after track. It is perhaps significant that when Stochelo guested on Bireli's otherwise refreshing "Gypsy Project & Friends" CD, they decided to produce yet another, hackneyed, note-for-note copy of Django's 1947 "Dark Eyes" solo; this time played in unison. A truly pointless track.
Teddy Dupont

Next

Return to Tunes