Appel Direct

Submissions for tune chords and licks

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Appel Direct

Postby djangology » Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:02 pm

I've been practicing the rest stroke technique a lot lately and when I came across Appel Direct in my practice routine I realized I don't know the right way to approach it. Should I play Appel Direct using down-up rest stroke technique and pick each and every note or should I be doing it with hammer-ons?
djangology

Postby chap » Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:36 pm

I pick every note in the head. I think it sounds better and achieves that staccato coolness that to me is the signature sound of the tune. That one kind of reminds me of some of that cool Raymond Scott Quintette stuff.
chap

Postby Thrip » Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:23 pm

Interestingly, Django appears to be using hammer-ons in the out chorus. Do you think he was getting tired?
Thrip

Postby djangology » Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:45 pm

thanks! i suspected that i needed to pick every note, because your right, it has a better stoccato sound to it. i can tell already that it will be easier to play that way once i build the speed, but right now its still harder to play using the rest stroke technique.

by the way, i usually float my hand completely and if i touch at all i am doing it the Raphael Fays way, where i use the backs of my fingers on my right had to "feel" my position. this brings up another question that i have: it is hard for me to keep the 5th and 6th strings quiet (muffled) while i play this, especially with proper hand position with the thumb on the back of the neck (not over the neck). any advice on string muffling when playing this way? or am i supposed to be able to play this so accurately that those strings naturally stay quiet?
djangology

Postby Zoot » Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:08 pm

djangology wrote:or am i supposed to be able to play this so accurately that those strings naturally stay quiet?

You should not be hitting these at all, have a look at what is causing them to ring and eliminate.

How are you playing the next bit (after the 4th/5th fret bit)
4th fret or shooting up to 9th fret like Angelo does?
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Zoot
Site Admin

Postby djangology » Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:18 pm

mabye i dont have a very accurate transcription, but for the other bit of the tune I play the diminished pattern starting on the 4-5 fret and it travels up to the 11th fret and adds one note on the 15th fret. do you know which transcription im talking about?

now that you mention this, does anyone have a nice transcription of this whole tune that they would be willing to give me? or is there someplace on the internet that has a longer transcription? i fear that all i have is the most basic head of the tune...
djangology

Postby justjack » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:25 pm

There's a tune listed as Appel Indirect over at:
http://jazz.chansons.free.fr/guitarejazz2.htm

Is this just a typo, or a kind of Gallic humor, or an entirely unrelated tune? I'd check it out, but I'm at work (shhh...) and don't have tabledit here. Anyway, hope it helps-I'll check into it further from home, later.
justjack
Mad For It

Return to Tunes