La Folle

Submissions for tune chords and licks

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Postby nwilkins » Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:27 pm

Jesse,

there is a yahoo group called "Gypsy Guitar Download 1" and in the files section you will find a PDF transcription of Montagne Ste Genevieve - it will give you the notes, if not always the best fingerings, but I think it is well tabbed out for the B section which you are wondering about.
nwilkins

Postby felixcharlock » Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:20 pm

thanks! much appreciated. i'm going to check it out right now. i owe you a guiness. cheers, jesse
felixcharlock

Postby Caballero » Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:39 pm

Just a few words regarding 'La Folle'. I play this most excellent of waltzes and I must say that learning it was a complete nightmare, both in terms of melody and harmony. Despite being a superb cd, Romanes version that appears on 'impair' , is frankly, utter arse. His score doesn't do the original Baro version justice and the lack of rhythm guitar indicates he was slightly puzzled as to the correct chord accents. No disrespect, the guy's a monster. I ended up sampling the original and transcribing Baro's passages which took months to get it near. I don't think you'll find this one in any standard chord. The Ferre Bros did a raging version of it on 'Pour Django'. Toodle-pip!
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby nwilkins » Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:48 pm

Well, while we're speaking of it, that whole CD is pretty bad - in fact every waltz on there is my least favourite version - the playing is boring, dry and unemotional, and as I said the chords Romane uses are not great. For one of the best waltz recordings ever try and find Valse des Niglos by the Trio Ferret recorded in 1939 (it is on a CD called "Jazz Gitan 1939/1943") - just compare it to Romane's version and you'll see what I mean. I second Cabo's motion to learn the waltz from the original, BUT using the Romane chart as a rough guide will help you with the harmony.
nwilkins

Postby Scot » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:15 pm

I have two different charts of this tune from the 50s that are pretty much correct. If anyone wants a copy PM me and I'll see if I can find them in the mountain of clutter that is supposed to be my chart library...

Regarding the charts for "Souvenir de Django" I simply have not had time to work on this or much else for the last couple of months - as winter is coiming on I might be able to get back to it. I will keep y'all posted if and when I have it done.

Best
Scot
Scot

Postby justjack » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:17 am

nwilkins wrote: For one of the best waltz recordings ever try and find Valse des Niglos by the Trio Ferret recorded in 1939 (it is on a CD called "Jazz Gitan 1939/1943").

My waltz heroes, without a doubt. (Also great is their Chez Jaquet (listed as Gin, Gin, I think)). They really set the standard, for me at least.
justjack
Mad For It

Previous

Return to Tunes