Musette Books

Submissions for tune chords and licks

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Musette Books

Postby Cuimean » Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:24 pm

For anyone that's interested, Lark in the Morning (http://larkinthemorning.com/) has some of the "Musette - Recueil de 110 Succes" series of music books. From what I understand, the series is an attempt at collecting the musette repertoire. It has everything from mazurkas to waltzes, with melodies written in standard notation and chords in the "Do Re Mi" style. (Forgive my ignorance - does this system have a name?) I picked up vol. 2, which has a few Gus Viseur, Tony Murena, and Jo Privat pieces. I'm looking forward to digging in.
Cuimean

Postby justjack » Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:06 am

"...and chords in the "Do Re Mi" style. (Forgive my ignorance - does this system have a name?)"

It does indeed. Check this for an overview, it's pretty interesting. I never realized, for instance, that the other intervals were given names as well, but that's what you get when you learn music theory from Julie Andrews.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solfege

Let us know how those work out for you, by the way; I'm curious myself.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby Plowboy » Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:24 am

Interesting website, Jack!
There's a lot of "buzz" now about Sacred Harp singing as featured in the new movie, "Cold Mountain"--the singers are from Henegar, Alabama.
(We used the Sacred Harp Hymnal in the church of my youth even though we were Methodists and the Hymnal was more closely associated with the Baptists. I liked the songs much better than the Cokesbury/Methodist fare but I remember the pianist hated it because of the shaped notes.) NPR did a story on it some days ago--might check the archives for the details as I forget them.
But I wonder if maybe Sacred Harp singing and shaped-note singing (where you actually sing the "do-re-mi's instead of the words) are things carried over here from the old country?
Your own muck is good muck!
Plowboy

Return to Tunes