67%
Out of key
11%
Some other key
No votes

Total votes : 9

Si Tu Savais

Postby djangology » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:59 pm

I made a chart for this tune in the key of Bm and brought it to my jam this last Saturday. Im just wondering what key that most people expect it to be in. :-)
djangology

Postby emackenz » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:21 am

I have this on an LP and could never work out if it was my turntable or the original,but it's in between the two. i copied it to a wav and tuned it in Transcribe to Cm so i could learn it, but my question is - what key did the HCF do it in? it's likely Stephane would have preferred it in Bm...? and what a beautiful solo Django plays.
Ewan
emackenz

Postby NewcastleBud » Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:07 am

Please allow me to muddy the waters further! On the JSP box set #2, disc 4, track 12, this tune is in the key of B minor-easy enough eh? The same recording ( November 14 1947) on the Saga box set disc 3, track 4 the song is in C minor. Obviously this is due to different mastering speeds. Either way it's a beautiful song!
NewcastleBud

Postby stublag » Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:34 am

NewcastleBud wrote:Please allow me to muddy the waters further! On the JSP box set #2, disc 4, track 12, this tune is in the key of B minor-easy enough eh? The same recording ( November 14 1947) on the Saga box set disc 3, track 4 the song is in C minor. Obviously this is due to different mastering speeds. Either way it's a beautiful song!

Hi
I must say i prefer (and play) it in B minor--a 'darker key' i think--and a key that even JS Bach reserved for his most profound music.
Either way i think its one of Djangos masterpieces(don't forget 'Bouncin' around' either(in G minor)--
Nobody plays that--well actually i do (thanks to Teddy's help)
Stu
stublag

Postby Thrip » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:05 pm

stublag wrote:(don't forget 'Bouncin' around' either(in G minor)--
Nobody plays that--well actually i do

And rather splendidly, I might add!
Thrip

Postby stublag » Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:14 pm

Thrip wrote:
stublag wrote:(don't forget 'Bouncin' around' either(in G minor)--
Nobody plays that--well actually i do

And rather splendidly, I might add!

Your a top man Sir Thrip :-)
See you tonight????
Stu

PS--i'll be playing the 'Blancmange' gtr again--quite apt for Bouncin' Around don't you think! :-)
stublag

Postby Gadjo » Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:30 pm

Stu
I wonder if you played it in Bm would it still sound 'dark' if the guitar was sharp - or would it sound like Cm?
I have often wondered about this as I suspect we listen to things like open strings and harmonics to establish pitch. I don't have perfect pitch but it is pretty close. I use colours (Bm is mid blue!, Cm is white!!) but when I hear it on a guitar I hear it as played not as it sounds if the guitar is approaching a semitone either way.
Gadjo

Postby djangology » Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:05 pm

By the way peoples, I have one more question. In the key of Bm, what is the concensus on what the second chord (first measure) in the song should be? I am torn between Bbdim (root on 6th fret 6th string) or th Em6 inversion (root on 4th fret 5th string). I think Bireli uses the former and GadjoDrom uses the latter.
djangology

Postby stublag » Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:36 pm

djangology wrote:By the way peoples, I have one more question. In the key of Bm, what is the concensus on what the second chord (first measure) in the song should be? I am torn between Bbdim (root on 6th fret 6th string) or th Em6 inversion (root on 4th fret 5th string). I think Bireli uses the former and GadjoDrom uses the latter.

i use a Gmin 6th triad(root on 6th string) on the 3rd fret--but it does have a Bb dim feel i agree.
Stu
stublag

Postby nwilkins » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:42 pm

Since the triad voicing of Gmin6 can also be a Bbdim chord I think it sounds like a great compromise :wink:
nwilkins

Postby stublag » Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:46 am

nwilkins wrote:Since the triad voicing of Gmin6 can also be a Bbdim chord I think it sounds like a great compromise :wink:

Well actually i do play a full Gminor 6th with a D on top--not just the triad
so its not a Bdim--that way with the D on top of the Bmin and Gmin6th you have a smooth 'minimum movement' voicing change.

BTW--I've just come back from The Le Que 1st anniversary party jam(its 3am as i write.....jeez!!..... talk about obsessed!)
--it was a fantastic night and i at last had the pleasure of jamming with Zoot and Brian as well as the estimable Barrington Meyer and Simon Moore and my partner in crime Ducato-- who is a one man 'Pompe' machine--you'll hear more of this guy....
--thanks a lot Zoot et al for your playing,good vibes and company :-)
and thanks most of all as always, to Sylvia!!
Stu
Last edited by stublag on Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
stublag

Postby devinci » Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:07 am

I,ve also just come back from that jam, another obsessed individual, great playing Stu, sorry could'nt join in, bit of rsi at the moment. Didn't here Si Tu Saves tonight so not much relevence to this perticular topic but who cares it was a great night, Anniversary song was amazing, much to gloat about for you lot. Hope I can play again soon.
devinci

Postby stublag » Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:20 am

devinci wrote:I,ve also just come back from that jam, another obsessed individual, great playing Stu, sorry could'nt join in, bit of rsi at the moment. Didn't here Si Tu Saves tonight so not much relevence to this perticular topic but who cares it was a great night, Anniversary song was amazing, much to gloat about for you lot. Hope I can play again soon.

Thanks for the nice comments about Anniversary song(aka Danube) Leonardo--you'll be playing as great as ever soon i'm sure--on that magnificent Olivier Marin!!!
See you bro'
Stu
stublag

Postby djangology » Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:23 am

Yeah, I recently picked up a chart for The Anniversary Song recently. I definitely think it will also become a popular tune over here too. Its nice to see you guys have a healthy and fun jam atmosphere over there. Pompe or die!!!
djangology

Postby stublag » Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:55 am

djangology wrote:Yeah, I recently picked up a chart for The Anniversary Song recently. I definitely think it will also become a popular tune over here too. Its nice to see you guys have a healthy and fun jam atmosphere over there. Pompe or die!!!

Thanks!
Healthy and fun--but deadly serious as well!
--actually not so sure about the 'healthy' either --number of cigs i get through of an evening :-)
Now back to Si tu savais--the real secret of this tune is the chord played in the 4th bar after the 2nd B min... ;-)
Stu
stublag

Next

Return to Tunes