Would you like an mp3 database with all Django records on this website

yes
56%
no
44%

Total votes : 25

Postby CB » Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:25 pm

Nick:

Regards Jimmy Rosenberg MP3s for sale via download, can you point me (us) to the site? I am curious to see how this works. The two "official" JR sites listed in a Google search are dead ends. HC de Suede site offers samples, but could not find MP3s for sale.

This is an interesting thread. I wonder a cottage industry for web sales MP3s of niche styles like Gypsy Jazz would have a chance of success? Can't you just picture having instant access to maybe a thousand individual recordings in this style, including some of the current big names, some out of print stuff and lots of low visibilty, but talented artists. I'd pay for that (somebody STOP ME!). Or, as Devinci asks, is somebody already doing this?

Craig
CB

Postby nwilkins » Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:50 pm

I think it was on Jimmy's website which appears to be down at the moment. I think you're right - there would be a significant market for legal downloadable Mp3s on the web - esp if it is stuff that is hard/impossible to obtain on CD. Plus you don't have to pay shipping or wait a while to get your stuff.
nwilkins

Postby Bflat » Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:50 pm

[quote="CB"]Nick:

Regards Jimmy Rosenberg MP3s for sale via download, can you point me (us) to the site? I am curious to see how this works. The two "official" JR sites listed in a Google search are dead ends. HC de Suede site offers samples, but could not find MP3s for sale.

Jimmy's new album is for sale via download from this site:
http://www.hotclub.musikkonline.no/shop ... &cid=&sid=
Bflat

Postby nwilkins » Sat May 01, 2004 2:46 am

Thanks Bflat - that is the site I meant - I must have got there FROM Jimmy's site one time.
nwilkins

Postby Zoot » Sat May 01, 2004 4:13 pm

A most interesting topic.
I've done a little converting and here are the prices, as an example the excellent "Fleur de Lavendre" CD by Fapy
(No longer available to buy as a CD) but readily available as a per track or all tracks on hotclub of norway)

9.5NK (Norwegian Kroner) per track This pans out to be approx:
75p - $1.38 - or 1.1 ?uro
or 110NK for all 16 tracks
£9.00 - $15 and 13.38 ?uro

I think it's fine that this system has been set up.
However the middle man is still there and the percentage that the artist gets would not be any higher than if a real CD had landed on the doormat.

The best course of action is each artist has his/her own website that offers digital downloads with a cheap payment portal (Paypal is not cheap but better than most banks).

The problem has always been the processing of micropayments. Paypal is the best option in this case as it's quick easy and safe (relativly).
If i were to charge 77p for a track, I would then have to pay 36p of that to the bank if it were a Switch/Maestro payment.
or only 2.7p to Paypal.

I recently set up an online shop for the new Robin Nolan site
www.robinnolan.com
the actual shop is:
www.hotclub.co.uk/~rnolan/catalog/
and is working very nicely for Robin.
As an independent artist he is limited to selling at gigs and off the website.
I'm sure the posibility of selling an mp3 instead of his wife having to pack up the orders would be apealing to both. However as a bunch of old hens we would soon be swapping them within our small group I'm sure.

As with the loss of Vinyl artwork the CD is a poor replacement the mp3 is even worse. It holds no tangible reminder. We love to have something to hold. Maybe we should all go back to vinyl.
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Zoot
Site Admin

Postby troychapman » Sat May 01, 2004 5:26 pm

The problem I have with this scenario is- MP3s are a major step backwards. Yes I realize the codecs are getting better but an MP3 is
still not as good a recording as the original CD, which is nowhere near as good as most recordings being made these days in 24 bit format.
The difference between 16 bit CDs and the 24 bit recordings they are reduced from is audible, specially to musicians. MP3s are a step down from that.

MP3s were a great idea when no one had anything but a 56k(or slower)
modem and 2 gig (or smaller) harddrives. But that is changing rapidly.

I can buy a 200 gig HD for US $150 or less. That will hold about 250 UNCOMPRESSED CDs. I can burn a CD off that HD in about 3 minutes.

As of today it would still take me about 45 minutes to download the 600 megs that most CDs use. But it would be worth it to me. And it will only get faster. Exactly 10 years ago I had a 1200 baud modem.

My point is- MP3s are (or soon will be) an outdated idea except for marketers. Does any really need to put 10,000 songs on an Ipod? I doubt more than a couple of people on this list even own 10,000 songs. And when would you listen to them all? Unfortunately the general public, and kids more so, don't know and don't care that they are being fed an inferior product. They want unlimited weekend minutes on their mobile phones and unlimited MP3s on their players.

WE should start insisting on something better.

I want the option, at the very least, to download full uncompressed versions of the songs/CDs I buy online. I want the ENTIRE song/recording not the 6megs someone else decided I should listen to.

I do understand the benefits of MP3s. I like the ability to preview something quickly, or to be able to send a song to someone to check out, or to put on my website for publicty purposes. I will buy MP3s if the CD is not available anywhere and it's the only way to hear an artist's music.

I just want a choice of formats. And I want people to realize this is not the holy grail of music distribution that it being sold to us as.

End of rant.
troychapman

Previous

Return to Tunes