Concerning Gypsy rhythm and solos

New to the scene? Help is at hand. No question too silly.

Moderator: justjack

Concerning Gypsy rhythm and solos

Postby Gullahboy » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:10 pm

At this present time I am still studying Gypsy guitar the secrets and the book is dynomite...I am must tell the forum that I am learning a lot but the book is telling me what to play but not teaching me the language, or maybe I am looking for to much to soon ......I did check out this cat named Ronin Nolan and he has some self tutorials that deal with scales and improv I was wondering if anyone in the forum has purchased any of his material ..From what I saw of him on youtbe ....I will say he is a dynomite player....and info would be highly appreciated
Gullahboy

Postby Ricardo » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:07 pm

I started learning four years ago with Robins hot licks book. At that time i had no idea how to play this style, but learning the licks from his books gave me a good grounding and an insight into positions for improv. I worked through various books, but the real learning is to work out your chords in all positions and learn to follow a tune using the notes from the chords as you pass them. I would highly recommend getting Dennis Changs four dvd set on improv. I learned more from the concepts in these than I did in the first three years. Remember to practice EVERY day!
Ricardo

Postby Nolan » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:14 pm

hi Guys - yes practice every day if you can!

I have a few pointers on my new blog -check them out and please leave a comment or question - I try to learn from everyone..

http://gypsyjazzblog.com

cheers and all the best!

robin
Nolan

Postby Gadjo » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:12 pm

1. Buy all the Nolan stuff or Robin's gig book if you can only afford one - oh, and a metronome. Learn his changes and chord shapes. Play confident rhythm before you start trying to get you lead chops together.

2. Pick a tune a week and learn it inside out. Listen to the great players and how they interpret the tune (Youtube, Spotify etc).

3. In a year you will have 50 tunes (assuming you go on holiday) that you can play by memory, in time, and sounding great!

4. Wait for the phone to ring.
Gadjo

Postby neill » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:11 pm

In addition to all the above great advice, I personally found a slow down program really useful, mines just called "the amazing slow-downer" - it only cost me 20 quid or so about 4 years ago - I just downloaded it.. I've picked up licks and tricks from everyone from django, bireli, wawau et al.. In addition to the great guitar tricks i've learnt, i've found it really useful in seeing how some of the violin players do their thing, grappelli of course as well as some of the modern greats like costel nitescu and florin niculescu.. I've even transcribed some horn licks from coltrane and even eric dolphy! great stuff and really easy and brilliant for ear training.. even tricky and interesting chords can be worked out if you isolate them and slow em right down... and of course - practice, practice and practice some more..
neill

Return to Gypsy Jazz for Rookies