Yet another rookie introduction

New to the scene? Help is at hand. No question too silly.

Moderator: justjack

Yet another rookie introduction

Postby Guitartech » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:24 pm

Hi all
Just registered here after lurking around for quite a while. A few words about me: I'm an engishman living in Germany (my wife is German) ,56 years old, and repair guitars and other stringed instruments for a living.
After playing guitar for 40 years (mostly rock and roll, blues etc), I have been bitten by the Gypsy Jazz bug. I have an acoustic archtop that I'm using to try and learn the rudiments of La Pompe etc, but I'm keen to have a more suitable guitar to practice on.
After surfing the web for a couple of weeks, I've narrowed my choice down to two guitars, both Grand Bouche models: A Richwood RM- 140NT (about €300 if you can find somewhere where they're in stock, seem to be rarer than hens teeth), or a Saga cigano J15 for about €100 more. Any opinions about the two of them? I've read that the J15 has a thin neck, but how thin is thin? Gypsy Jazz isn't very popular up here in north Germany, and none of the shops in the area have any to try out. Before I order one, I'd like to hear some opinions from more experienced players about the choices in my price range (up to €450)
Thanks in advance

Grahame
Guitartech

Postby BluesBopHarry » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:58 pm

Get the Cigano
http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/eco ... GJ-15.html
Pretty decent for the money, I would go for the oval hole solid top (GJ-10) myself
BluesBopHarry

Postby Guitartech » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:52 pm

Why would you buy the oval hole version instead of the D-Hole? Just interested in your reasons for saying this, bear in mind that I want to learn rhythm, and not play lead, I don't need a neck that joins the body at the 14th fret. Other differences? Keep the good advice coming :-)

Grahame
Guitartech

Postby Ricardo » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:09 pm

Hi.I agree that you should go with the cigano. The neck is fairly thin if I remember correctly, but nicely so and easy to play. I have only played an oval hole but would assume that the D hole has a wider neck as is usual.
You could also consider a better second hand guitar such as a dg255.
I think Aria also do a model in that price range and there was a vid of Bireli Lagrene playing one and sounding fantastic. Don't touch the Richwood.
Ricardo

Postby astrakat » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:58 am

I have a Cigano CG-10. I'm very happy with it. They've skimped on certain aspects: the purfling is plastic, for example, and the rosette is a transfer. I see this as adding value for money.

When I got mine a couple of years ago it was £300. The shop had an Aria at the same price, so I tried that as well . . . for ten seconds. It was awful by comparison, but there may well be better ones out there.
In theory, practice and theory are different; in practice, they're not.
astrakat

Postby Guitartech » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:27 am

Hi all
Well I've been and gone and done it..I just ordered a SAGA Cigano GJ 15, should be here Wed/Thursday :-) I don't think I've been so exited about a new guitar in the last 30 years, just kicking myself that I didn't take the plunge a long time ago, back when my fingers were a bit faster..
Thanks for all the good advice

Grahame
Btw: If anyone's in north Germany, break your guitar and then pay me a visit: http://www.myers-guitars.com :-)
Guitartech

Return to Gypsy Jazz for Rookies