John Jogenson Scottish Gig and Workshop

Post your UK gig dates here

Moderators: Caballero, Zoot

John Jogenson Scottish Gig and Workshop

Postby crookedpinky » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:42 am

Hello all, good news for Scottish Django fans...John Jorgenson is appearing at the Inn at Lathones in St Andrews, Scotland on the 24th, 25th and 26th February 2009. Details and bookings for the gig can be found here http://www.theinn.co.uk/events.php

Even better news...the Hot Club of Glasgow is taking the opportunity of arranging a workshop with John during his visit. Final details have yet to be confirmed but at present this is being planned for February 25th and will run from 4 - 6 pm. The venue will be the Inn at Lathones St Andrews.

Please note the workshop is NOT being organised by the Inn so please do not address any queries about it to them.

The cost for this will be £50.00 per person and places are limited. Please let me know if you are interested by emailing info@hotclubofglasgow.com

I look forward to hearing from you
Alan Gow

:D :D
The Crookedpinky
crookedpinky

John is also here at Le Q 22/23 February

Postby quecumbar » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:07 pm

Yu cann book tickets at www.wegottickets.com and of course www.quecumbar.co.uk
Thanks to all our Patrons and regular musicians
Keep live music Live
quecumbar

Postby Swing 69 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:27 pm

Hope to get to the Tuesday gig! :D

Would love to do the workshop..... RECESSION !! :(
Swing 69

Postby crookedpinky » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:19 am

Dont worry there was so little in the way of interest that the workshop wont be happening.

I think this was due to timing and location but if John's ever in Glasgow or Edinburgh we'll try again.

Enjoy the gig
Alan
The Crookedpinky
crookedpinky

Postby Swing 69 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:28 pm

Alan, I've left a voice mail on your hotclub mobile no.

That's a shame about the workshop. I just don't know why there isn't the interest up here. I'd have love to have gone.

Anyway I'm looking forward to the gig. What night are you's guys going?

Please check mobile so i can give you a call at home or something about your jam night.
Swing 69

Postby Ganondorf » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:02 pm

£10 and im in!!!!
Ganondorf

Postby Brett » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:26 am

crookedpinky wrote:..I think this was due to timing and location...

You don't think it was to do with the price? I've seen John play, and he's superb, but what can you learn in two hours that woud justify £50.00?
Brett

Postby Gmajor » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:02 pm

I think that very cheap for a lesson with one of the worlds best gypsy guitarist.check out his books dvds great learning tool.try out his signiture model gitane sound bril.This guy as played Django in a film HEAd in the Cloud's and to top that he's played with Elton John.
Gmajor

Postby Brett » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:18 pm

Gmajor wrote:I think that very cheap for a lesson with one of the worlds best gypsy guitarist.check out his books dvds great learning tool.try out his signiture model gitane sound bril.This guy as played Django in a film HEAd in the Cloud's and to top that he's played with Elton John.

Yes, I know all that, but rather than £50 for two hours I would suggest that a 6 hour session for £150 would be more beneficial.
Brett

Postby crookedpinky » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:22 pm

I think the problem really was the location and timing, Fife is not the most accessible of places - and especially the location of Lathones.

In terms of value for money I think that's subjective and not worth commenting on, you have to make up your own mind about the value of something and I think in a workshop like this you would have to be ready with questions etc. beforehand and have a clear idea of what you want from it.

Last year I had a fabulous day with in Samois with Lollo Meier and one other player. We had a around 5 hours "tuition" and a lovley lunch at the Country Club Hotel in Samois.

Hard to say what I learned apart from a valuable lesson in how rubbish I really was. Add to that the perks of having lunch in the company of Ritary and Herve Gagueneti, Andreas Olberg, Dennis Chang, A J Luomaranta and some geezer called Hank Marvin................. Ritary, Herve, Andreas and Dennis Chang were trying out AJL guitars as we watched, had lunch and enjoyed the playing.

All of that for the princely sum of 100 euros.......bargain. Hopefully Lollo will do the same again this year.
The Crookedpinky
crookedpinky

Postby paynej49 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:55 pm

and to top that he's played with Elton John.
This could be it also. Having Elton John on one's resume is not necessarily an advantageous thing. And sometimes it's just downright protestable.
It is a mistake to stretch the parameters of Django's music beyond it's borders and into outer extremities where it is wrarped into something other than what it was originally intended to be.
You want Jazz going to Rock? Herbie Hancock could do that. Chick Corea could do that.
You want Rock going to Jazz? Be Frank Zappa.
Look at Ruth Underwood's work at the New England Conservatory of Music. Straight As and she was able to help kick that Grand Wazoo tour into high gear!
In Robin Nolan's advertisement for learning Gypsy guitar FAST we are led to believe that after sending away for his kit we can just put our fingers on the guitar, close our eyes, and as if by magic we are somehow transformed onto the concert stage within days. And we don't have to get bogged down with technical jargon and musical theory.
Like what? Things like scales, notes, and key transpositions?
Have you ever known success as a music student to have been achieved by anything other than hours and hours of gruelling hard work and practice?
I never have. Not once! Not ever.
His advertisement reminds me of those tabloidal promises we see in the papers about how to lose 80 pounds in four days.
What is this guy supposed to be? A guitar teacher?
And yes, Django's music is not dead even if Theodore Dupont says so.
Otherwise the question of why there has been no recent interest in workshop classes is better off left to those who can answer it.
paynej49

Postby Gmajor » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:21 pm

WHAT EVER
Gmajor

Postby maca » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:31 pm

I thought you weren't writing here again Payne...but I am glad you did because your ramblings brighten up an otherwise boring Monday morning...............you FREAK!
maca

Postby Jono » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:57 pm

I see John Jorgenson is also playing at the Cropredy festival this year, but it's his electric band, not the JJ Quintet.

Before I found out it was to be in one of his rockier incarnations, I was enjoying the refreshing thought of someone playing Gypsy Jazz to a field of somewhere approaching 20,000 people. It would also probably send paynej49 into an apoplexy.

Shame.
They may be drinkers, Robin, but they're still human beings.
Jono

Postby paynej49 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:18 pm

maca wrote:I thought you weren't writing here again Payne...but I am glad you did because your ramblings brighten up an otherwise boring Monday morning...............you FREAK!
Mucus, please take your vulgarities and your other boring stuff elsewhere. Thankyou.
paynej49

Next

Return to UK Gig Listings