Djangofest Brooklyn

Post your US Gig dates here

Moderators: Caballero, Zoot

Djangofest Brooklyn

Postby devinci » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:34 pm

Stephane Wremble is putting on a Djangofest in Brooklyn in December the 11th and 12th at Barbs. The great Alphonso Ponticelli will be performing as will Stephane. I have had the great honour to be invited from England to play. We will all do our own sets followed by a final set together and we will all be doing masterclasses during the day. Any way I hope to meet some of my forum brothers from accross the big pond, come along it should be a really great event, I know I'm excited.

Robin Katz.
devinci

Postby djangology » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:20 pm

hey Robin, I think that my lead guitar player, Rip McCollough will be performing at that festival also... i understand that it might be Rip, yourself, Alfonso, and Stephane each having 45 minutes each for the Barbes performance? this is the rumor i heard... im not sure if its actually true.
djangology

Postby devinci » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:15 am

Yes I belive Rip is also playing, but it has to confirmed, thats why I didn't mention it in my post. I hope he does come, I hear he is a great player.
devinci

Re: Djangofest Brooklyn

Postby justjack » Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:08 am

devinci wrote:Stephane Wremble is putting on a Djangofest in Brooklyn in December the 11th and 12th at Barbs. The great Alphonso Ponticelli will be performing as will Stephane. I have had the great honour to be invited from England to play. We will all do our own sets followed by a final set together and we will all be doing masterclasses during the day. Any way I hope to meet some of my forum brothers from accross the big pond, come along it should be a really great event, I know I'm excited.

Robin Katz.

Robin, this sounds like a blast; I hope I can make it. Questions: Are the masterclasses both days, and any idea what they'll cover? Or yours, at least? It would be nice to finally meet one of the forum brothers from across the pond, wouldn't it? Hope to see you there.

Best,
Jack.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby devinci » Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:41 pm

Yes masterclasses are on both days. Scince I have had the great privlage of having jammed with some fantastic players, and had them show me techniques, tricks and licks, players such as Lolo Meier, Robin Nolan, Andreas Olberg, Rodolphe Raphalli, Rittary Ganguanetti, the greatest rythem player in the world Mathuie Chatlan and the great Angelo Debarre ( the benefits of living near France and frequenting the Quecumbar), my method will be to teach like they do, from friend to friend. Firstly I will cover how to get the right sound from your guitar, this will involve right hand technique and rythem. Secondly I will review cord possitions, from basic gypsy voicings to more interesting jazzy voicings that guitarists like Angelo Debarre and Bireli Lagrene often use to add colour to their cord work. Then we will look at a tune or two and work firstly on everyone sounding good together and then we will look at soloing, through scales and licks but also through some excercises designed to encourage greater swing and smoothness in players improvisations. The best way to learn is oral tradition typical of the way gypsys teach this music. I really hope some of you guys can make it, I think the whole weekend will be great fun.

All the best,
Robin.
devinci

More Info, Schedule?

Postby fmason » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:07 am

Hi does anybody have a link for more info on DjangoFest Brooklyn? Like where, when, how much, etc? It sounds great!

Edit: I answered my own question:
http://www.barbesbrooklyn.com/calendar.htm

Scroll down a ways...
fmason

Postby djangology » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:24 pm

actually, that link should be:

http://www.barbesbrooklyn.com/calendar.html
djangology

Postby justjack » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:40 pm

Hey, all. For those interested in the workshops, here's a copy of the information Stephane sent (the Barbes site only lists times, not content):

hi Jack,

Alfonso Ponticelli is going to cover the vocabulary
aspect (licks and tricks as he says), Ripley
Mccollough has a special way of teaching improvisation
through the min6 arpeggio shape, and Robin Katz is
working on the comping and melody aspect.
Each workshop is 1:45 to 2 hours length, each cost
50$, or 120$ for the 3 of them.

These 3 guys are really amazing, I hope to see you
then!
Stephane
justjack
Mad For It

DJangofest Brooklyn brave offer

Postby bbwood_98 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:14 am

Hi all,
Well . . . This is going to be great! I hope lots of people come. Robin and I are playing on wed night at a local wine merchants (smith and vine in brooklyn) to hype it and such.
in any case I wanted to extend free floor space for anyone who wants it. I live in brooklyn (15min walk from barbes- 2 subway stops).
Cheers,
B.
bbwood_98

Re: DJangofest Brooklyn brave offer

Postby stublag » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:24 am

see next post
Last edited by stublag on Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
stublag

Re: DJangofest Brooklyn brave offer

Postby stublag » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:32 am

stublag wrote:
bbwood_98 wrote:Hi all,
Well . . . This is going to be great! I hope lots of people come. Robin and I are playing on wed night at a local wine merchants (smith and vine in brooklyn) to hype it and such.
in any case I wanted to extend free floor space for anyone who wants it. I live in brooklyn (15min walk from barbes- 2 subway stops).
Cheers,
B.

Good luck guys!
WOW!! ---'Smith and Vine in Brooklyn' sounds like a Steely Dan lyric --cool!)
I'm sure Robin(otherwise known as 'DeVinci') will do you proud Ben.
It was nice of you to say those things in a previous post--i hope to see you in Samois next year if not before(i'll be in the U.S in Feb and March--can't wait!)
Keep at it-- 'cause F##k!--- this Music is difficult :-)
Stu
stublag

Postby woodshedder » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:21 pm

DOH! I always find out too late. stupid bookings. oh well. have fun everyone!

see you at the next east coast joint. hopefully.
d
woodshedder

Postby justjack » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:24 pm

stublag wrote:(i'll be in the U.S in Feb and March--can't wait!)

Details, my good man, we need details!
justjack
Mad For It

Postby stublag » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:09 pm

justjack wrote:
stublag wrote:(i'll be in the U.S in Feb and March--can't wait!)

Details, my good man, we need details!

Hi Jack
I'll be playing with superb Russian accordionist and singer Igor Outkine
He's one half of the great Russian/Gypsy outfit Duo Mazaika
They're both regulars at the great Le Quecumbar Tuesday jam nights.
They're great!--check out their website

http://www.mazaika-music.com

scroll down and listen particularly to their latest cd( superb playing on eg "Lark")
Angelo jammed for hours with them last time he was here---into the early hours with fantastic Russian cabaret repertoire!!!
Igor and I will be touring the U.S between 10th Feb to the 10 March 2005-
20 concerts;don't know venues as yet!
We'll be adapting their repertoire for guitar and accordion--should be quite a challenge!
Can't wait!--we'll throw in a few gypsy jazz tunes as well !
Best
Stu
stublag

Postby justjack » Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:09 am

Thanks, Stu. Be sure to let us know when you've got the venues down, and I'll try to get a few pals out to heckle.

In the meantime, if anyone's looking for a glimpse of some of the stateside scene, Dan, who ran DFNE, has posted a bunch of photos on his site:
www.djangofestnortheast.com

Best,
Jack.
justjack
Mad For It

Next

Return to US Gig Listings