Spirit of Django

Post your US Gig dates here

Moderators: Caballero, Zoot

Spirit of Django

Postby Verchacho » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:22 pm

Anybody planing on attending this event?

http://www.lincolncenter.org/search/res ... ar&x=0&y=0

I'm considering going, since i went last year.
Verchacho

Postby plankity » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:28 pm

Wednesday night's show at Lincoln Center was nothing short of amazing!
Several times, the players nearly ripped the roof off of Alice Tully Hall - the sold-out house was completely enthralled with the level of musicianship! I've been to shows that feature one group, or artist for one or two sets and this is the first 'showcase' - while being different (obviously) it seemed to be more like the end of a festival, where the great artists come together and blend their styles in jams: all of these artists are at the top of their game and had been playing all day in preparation for the show and consequently were raring to go! I arrived at 3:00 pm and the house already was rocking: aside from a half-hour between 5 and 5:30, I was backstage the entire time and they were percolating, full bore; like bulls waiting to be released at the rodeo.

Joscho Stephan is an amazing entertainer and he and his trio played
first - later joined by Florin, then Pacquito. Angelo, Samson Schmitt, Ludovic and the rhythm section took to the stage, which was scorched by the flames of Joscho and they re-ignited the remaining coals after a beautiful ballad. There were stark contrasts throughout the show, sometimes with Angelo being the spare voice of reason as the others stoked each other into outrageous rubbatos that really seemed to cause structural damage to the concert hall...

Special thanks to Pat Phillips for enduring all the trials of
putting together a show like this -- quite a feat!

Norman CT/USA

PS: this is a re-hash of my initial post at the Yahoo forum
plankity

Postby plankity » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:46 pm

I posted some photos from the Lincoln Center show taken by a friend - limited lighting (no flash)

http://www.plankity.com/spirit_of_django/index.html

enjoy
N--
plankity

Return to US Gig Listings