Al Casey

A reminder of those that have gone on before us.

Moderators: Caballero, Zoot

Al Casey

Postby Teddy Dupont » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:30 pm

Died on Sunday aged 89. Probably most famous for his many years with Fats Waller. Apparently, the person who wrote the obituary in the Telegraph had never heard of Django as he states Casey "...had claims to be considered the finest of all acoustic jazz guitarist (sic)...". He was a very pleasant and flexible player but that statement is really quite silly.
Teddy Dupont

Postby blindbluesandjazz » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:53 am

Al Casey was a truly great player, and very influential on my playing. He is all but forgotten now, but there was a time where he was leading the pack of electric guitarists who were influenced by Charlie Christian. I definitely think players like Bill Jennings and Billy Butler owed a lot to his style. He was voted top guitart in the Metronome pole in 1944 (?) and performed at the famed concert with all the poll winners, including Louis Armstrong, Art Tatum, Lionel Hampton, Billie Holiday, and Buster Bailey. I really regret not making the trip to meet him. Comparisons to Django, are silly, but Casey was one of the great American archtop soloists, along with Teddy Bunn, Dave Barbour, and Dick McDonough.
Colin Perry
www.colinperry.ca
blindbluesandjazz

Postby Thrip » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:47 am

blindbluesandjazz wrote:top guitart

Is that a cross between a guitarist and a tart? Hmmm, I know a lot of them!
Thrip

Return to In Memoriam