Eric Roche

A reminder of those that have gone on before us.

Moderators: Caballero, Zoot

Eric Roche

Postby Jono » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:13 pm

4th December 1967 - 6 September 2005.
They may be drinkers, Robin, but they're still human beings.
Jono

Postby Manouche » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:00 pm

Thats a real shame, - I enjoyed his guitar mag articles. He was ill for quite a while I believe so I assume it was the big C. :cry:
Manouche

Postby Jono » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:38 pm

Yes it was, although the last time I saw him play live was a year ago and he'd just completed a course of radiotherapy and had been given the all-clear. Tragically it came back shortly afterwards.

At the time he was clearly quite weak, even to the point of getting short of breath from speaking, but he seemed to get a huge burst of energy each time he started a new tune, always lasting to the end of the number. I still find it hard to believe that a performer with that much vitality could be gone at such a young age.

At one point someone shouted "You're a genius, Eric!" to which his response was:

"F*** off - you want to be careful who you reserve that word for!"
They may be drinkers, Robin, but they're still human beings.
Jono

Postby Rich » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:03 am

I saw Eric Roche play a couple of years ago at a small guitar club near where i live. He was playing songs and kinda teaching his philosophy on music at the same time..

I often think about some of the things he said to this day. He was a very talented guitarist and inspired everyone in the room that night.

Rest in Peace.
Rich

Return to In Memoriam