Ken Sykora

A reminder of those that have gone on before us.

Moderators: Caballero, Zoot

Ken Sykora

Postby Teddy Dupont » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:40 am

Ken Sykora died on 7th March. He was 82.

When I first became interested in Django Reinhardt in 1955, he was very much out of favour and Ken Sykora was one of the very few people in the UK showing any interest in him. Ken was a competent rather than great guitarist but, together with Diz Disley, did a great job promoting Django's music during the black days of indifference.
Teddy Dupont

Postby patrus le sommelier » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:24 am

[/quote]When I first became interested in Django Reinhardt in 1955,

Roger was 2 years when he became interested in Django!!!!!!???

I was born in 1974 and became interested in Django in 2001. Patrus
patrus le sommelier

Postby Gadjo » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:12 pm

I am sorry to hear of Ken's death. I knew his son Duncan (a fine guitarist himself) and I remember when he got his Dad's original Selmer fixed up again. I got to play the guitar and was knocked out by it. Ken told me that that was his 'acoustic' guitar for whatever session he was on. The Selmer was used on all Lonnie Donnegan's hits plus many more I am certain.

Ken was a great 'plectrum guitarist' and his love of Django lead him to buy the Selmer and attempt to replicate the style. Whether he succeeded to everyone's approval is neither here nor there - he worked as a session player throughout the 50's and 60's and feed his family. That's good enough for me.

His only complaint through out his well deserved retirement in Scotland was the continual cold calls from 'Django-heads' trying to buy his guitar off him. If you are one of these, shame on you!

RIP Ken.
Gadjo

Return to In Memoriam