Johnny Roadhouse RIP

A reminder of those that have gone on before us.

Moderators: Caballero, Zoot

Johnny Roadhouse RIP

Postby Gadjo » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:39 pm

My old friend who passed away aged 88. A good innings considering the way he lived in his formative years!!!

Johnny was the best alto sax player in Manchester and probably the UK. He was lead alto with the BBC NDO for years and did every sax session of note in the area for decades. I only got to work with him late on in his career but his presence on the session or gig kicked everyone else into action somehow - a rare ability these days.
He told it as it was and attempted to knock me into shape during my formative years, for which I will always be grateful. He was used to working with the best so if you fell below his standard you soon knew it.

He is also known for setting up a second hand store opposite the University that turned into the towns best guitar store. I have been in and bumped into Manchesters' finest (Gallagher, Marr etc) before and after they became famous. Last time I was in there were some tasty 345/355s Bonehead had put in for a commission sale.

The man was an absolute legend in town. I can safely say they broke the mould after him.

RIP
Gadjo

Postby phil_g » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:28 pm

Heard the news on friday on radio 4, top man, was still working a 6 day week last time I saw him about 18 months ago.
He dated my mother in law in the 1950s - actually he pretended he couldn't play the flute & took lessons from her as a ruse ;)

RIP Johnny, true gentleman
phil_g

Return to In Memoriam