Keith Wheeler

A reminder of those that have gone on before us.

Moderators: Caballero, Zoot

Keith Wheeler

Postby menno » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:46 pm

as many of you can see on the FB site I was surprised, shocked, angry, belligerent, highly active and just now coming to terms with Keith's demise. Sorting through my pics of and with Keith I only want to recapture a bit of the IGGF this year. Coming from Holland I drove over and stayed with June near Gatwick for the night. Together we drove up to Edenbridge fo June alone didn't have the nerve after a few years of promising to go and not doing so. Heartily welcomed at Keith and Jeans that load fell of her shoulders in a whiff. That night I stayed with K&J to pack for Gossington. Friday my stuf went into his car and we took off following only byways where Keith took his time showing me the beautiful countryside. At Gossington we set up camp next to the musictent in the lee of a few cars and caravans so as his gazebo would endure the wind better. We slept on stretchers in the gazebo so they could act as a windbreaker and couch for eveybody that came about. And many of you did. I recollect one morning waking up to the practicing Bar Zalel and Amit Serero with their bassplayer Maxi and that was just lovely. They went into the contest and got next to first prize. That last afternoon during and following the contest the IGGF practically being over the wind took up and the rains started seriously drenching our setup. To save the gazebo Keith had just the tool everyone would have thought of: a real ships anchor came from under his carseat. That attached to the gazebo held it secure. Then the rain had soaked the sleepingbags and stretchers so we couldn't sleep there anymore. But Keith wouldn't be himself if he hadn't thought of a way out: he had this gas powered lamp, and a big butane tank which miraculously came out of his car too. This set up on on of the remaining tables made for a drying up of the sleepingbags, a warm place for the ones still left on the premises and we had a ball making and listening to 6 guitars. The girls put on the tea lights and it really was cosy. That night we chose to sleep in the music tent. Me on the stage surrounded by waxines and Keith in hos car which he conveniently had parked with the back inside the tent so noone could sneak up on me lest he guarded the entrance. Waking up I found my little sheltertent on the stage and Keith readiing himself to take a snapshot so I joined him in it and put the camera on selftimer. That picture now shows on FB and his comment to it was: we are the only guys that were actually on stage for more than 6 hours and not whistled or shouted away by the crowd. It shall become my favourite memory. :o :( :evil: :x :shock: :oops:
;-) Menno
menno

My friend of 36 years

Postby quecumbar » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:43 pm

Sadly I lost my father the week before Keith and his cremation is the day before Keiths

Keith was like my older brother - we laughed - we cried - we argued - we shouted - since I was 16 he has been there as my friend and me his

We first travelled the road to Samois together as most of you will know for many years - and he was there when I decided to make Le Quecumbar - thats where it was born with Keith and I in Samois - he helped me and my family over the years.
Keith and Jean are like family - I love them both
A sadder place without him - I am lost without my naughty brother
What a breath of fresh air he was
Thanks to all our Patrons and regular musicians
Keep live music Live
quecumbar

Keith Wheeler

Postby menno » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:16 pm

hi all,

just a quick thank you note to each and everyone present and to those just there in spirit. You have helped not only Jean to get through he day by your kind thoughts but also gave me the strength to say a few words on your behalf too.
So thanx,
;-)
Menno

btw
Pete Sheppard gave me this link to view some pics of the day.
:arrow: http://www.petersheppard.co.uk/Images/2 ... uneral.zip

be sure to choose the whole line including the .zip
thankx Pete!!!
;-) Menno
menno

Keith Wheeler

Postby menno » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:13 pm

Djangoslefthandman wrote:Top man who will be missed by all that knew him.

Always a generous Samois host - festival won't be the same without him.

One memory, giving up his front of stage seat at LeQ when Moreno was playing so I could study Moreno's picking. Typical Keith.

Sad day

Thanks Ray, for being there!
;-) Menno
menno

Postby Djangoslefthandman » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:38 pm

It was a privilege to be there.

Nice to see Keith get such a great send off.

Good to meet and jam with you Menno, look foward to catching up with you at the festivals.

Thanks for sharing the photos Pete.
Djangoslefthandman

keith Wheeler

Postby menno » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:10 pm

Just last Sunday I thought it proper to copy Susan Janssens example at her introduction to a Lollo Meier gig and open our fall reunion with a few words on Keiths' behalf. Everyone present that had at one time been in le Petit Barbeau or Samoreau came to me during the reunion to tell about their experiences with Keith. It was beautiful. He not only is missed, he lives on in the heart of people. It sure made me feel good. :oops: :? :o
;-) Menno
menno

album

Postby menno » Sat May 29, 2010 10:48 pm

hi guys,
over the past couple of months I've been thinking :( of a proper way to show Jean just how fabulous :P her late husband was to us. I came up with an album corroborated on by lots of his friends around the globe. It is nearly complete now. The last hand to it has to be laid by you 8) . So I'm bringing it with me to Samois and you'll come on over to my place in Samoreau and put in a few words :oops: or even just your name and email-address. Apart from the festivities I'll be at the camping and make long days :roll:. cu there,
;-) Menno
Attachments
2005 Keith the teeth.JPG
Keith as he was in his "heaven on earth"!
;-) Menno
menno

Postby Caballero » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:43 pm

:D I still have that T-shirt ! I think it was 98 / 99? but the late and also greatly missed Mary Honcoop used to print a different design on them and give them away to all her friends during the festival. That was my favourite one, great pic.
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

thank you Samois and IGGF 2010 crowd

Postby menno » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:11 am

I herewith want to thank Stuart for housing yet another great festival, his tenth now, and every attendee for filling the empty space in my albums. Jean loved all of it and thanks you all for the endearing words you put in. It really made her feel her husband Keith was very much loved and respected by our gypsy jazz community.
Hereunder just a few of your entries.
Attachments
DSC08755.JPG
DSC08752.JPG
DSC08751.JPG
DSC08748.JPG
;-) Menno
menno

Previous

Return to In Memoriam