Stuff Smith fans where are you?

All about violins and their players

Moderators: Zoot, lnb

Stuff Smith fans where are you?

Postby Chip Gulbro » Mon May 29, 2006 1:51 am

I bought my first Stuff cds this month. "Time and Again" by Proper and Cat on a Hot Fiddle. I had heard much talk about his skills. I am sure I dont have to tell readers here but this man new how to swing. I enjoy his early recordings immensly! In fact I enjoy listening to him just as much as Stephane, even though his style was gruff and rough at times compared to Stephane-but then who isnt or wasnt.

Were these Onyx Boys recordings his earliest available? Are there any videos of him available-movies or concerts?

Many thanks.
Chip
Chip Gulbro

stuff's stuff

Postby pelirrojo » Mon May 29, 2006 9:59 am

Stuff is my fav- I listen to him more than Grappeli these days. The other day someone made my day at a gig by saying he heard "a bit of Stuff" in my playing (of course, he probably meant the slightly harsh tone quality :D.)

I have a cd called Violins no End with Stuff and Stephane being backed by the Oscar Peterson group (with Herb Ellis on Guitar). It's really cool to hear these two violinists trade off solos with their totally different approaches. I've also got one with Stuff and Sven Asmussen- another of my favourites. Can't remember what it's called, but you'll probably find it on Amazon. Then I've got two from the Chronological Jazz series, with really good stuff on it. And a double cd with two albums -one of Stuff and Dizzy. It's a weird pairing, and sounds pretty off the cuff, but it's worth having if you're a Stuff fan.
pelirrojo

re Stuff

Postby Chip Gulbro » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:54 pm

Thanks for writing. It appears that you and I are the only ones on the planet who care about arguably one of the best swing violinists ever.

Please let me know if you are aware of any video-movies or concerts with him. And yes, I use the Stuff Smith harsh tone as an out as well when it comes to my tone at times.

Check out my band at www.hotclubofhuntsville.com . That was recorded last year on a cheap ass device. We sound much better now.

Cheers,
CHip
Chip Gulbro

Postby radiotone » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:18 pm

There was a bit of discussion here on Stuff last month:

http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1614
radiotone

Postby FiddleChickAZ » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:21 pm

There are a few clips of him on YouTube.com
FiddleChickAZ

Return to Gypsy Jazz Violin