Amplification

All about violins and their players

Moderators: Zoot, lnb

Amplification

Postby Fenner » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:40 pm

Hi guys

I was just wondering what everyone on here does in gig situations when amplifying their violin. The reason behind this is that I've decided to start looking at electric violins; til now I've been using a Barcus Berry 3100 pickup, but I've never been very happy with it - and microphones never seem to satisfy. Just wanted some opinions from others!

cheers,

Fenner
Fenner

Postby Gadjo » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:05 am

If this helps the violinists I have worked with recently use the following.

Chris Hayward uses a fishman on his bridge into an old delay unit for warmth and signal only (ie as a pre amp) and into an AER 60. This is a good gigging setup but needs a decent eq or preamp to work. Chris has used his old delay box for 20 years and won't leave for a gig without it.

Tim Kliphuis showed up with just a violin and played into the pa via an overhead mic. He sounded great but the volume didn't get too loud.

Graham Clarke prefers a mic but sometimes brings a pickup and amp. see his website for details
http://www.grahamviolin.com/amplify.htm

We did a gig with both Graham and Tim - both playing into mics. I was amazed at the difference in sound between the two instruments. Not one better than the other just so different in timbre.
Gadjo

Postby Ganondorf » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:01 pm

my mate ian swears by putting a little WD40 on the strings.Not only is the sound more refined, it is louder and reduces that horrible squeaking noise which omits from many a violin!
Ganondorf

Postby Rene » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:25 am

A violinist I play with uses a Headway Band pickup - warm tone from the violin body rather than thin bridge sound of the Fishman or Barcus Berry - direct into an old Trace Acoustic combo. Loud and very good.
Rene

Postby lnb » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:37 pm

Our fiddle player uses a baggs pickup into an AER compact 60......great sound.
FRET AND FIDDLE

www.fretandfiddle.co.uk

"The only way to beat temptation is to give in to it!"
lnb

Postby Fenner » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:17 pm

Thanks for all the input so far, it's all been extremely informative!

The L.R Baggs violin pickups aren't really what I'm looking for - I don't really want to permanently alter my instrument. An AER 60 seems to be what everyone points towards for amplification, but at over £500 its a little over my price range.

The Headway Band seems interesting, though at £120 I need to try one of those out before buying! The pickups from www.accusound.com also look intriguing, I wondered if anyone here has had experience with them.

As I'm on a budget at the moment, my plan is to get hold of a decent preamp and use to it warm the sound of a cheap Shadow piezo bridge pickup.

Howevever, I've had the idea that if I get hold of a L.R Baggs Mixpro preamp - I think they're going to be around $160 (not that I know how much that's going to work out to over in Britain) - then use it to mix together the Shadow bridge pickup with a clip-on lapel mic - I might achieve a decent sound. What does everyone think?

Fenner
Fenner

Postby lnb » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:28 pm

The baggs should'nt alter your instrument at all as it just replaces your exsisting bridge (see picture) The acusound aint that good, as for a preamp the fishman is pretty good.
ImageImage
FRET AND FIDDLE

www.fretandfiddle.co.uk

"The only way to beat temptation is to give in to it!"
lnb

Amplification

Postby Fenner » Thu May 24, 2007 2:12 pm

If anyone is still watching this thread, I just thought I'd say what I ended up with.

I eventually went for the Headway 'Band' pickup, coupled with a Beringer MIC200 tube preamp and an AER60. It all works a treat, and its the best sound I've been able to get out of it yet - the band is a great piece of kit, sounds brilliant and is very easy to use.

Cheers for everyone's help,

Fenner
Fenner

Return to Gypsy Jazz Violin