What instruments & bows do you use?

All about violins and their players

Moderators: Zoot, lnb

What instruments & bows do you use?

Postby FiddleChickAZ » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:31 pm

I am going to start using this blonde solid-back vintage fiddle. The label inside reads: "Christoforo Giorgi, fecit Neap. 1951"
I know nothing about this manufacture. Any info would be appreciated.

Lately I had been using this label-less auburn solid-back:

Last edited by FiddleChickAZ on Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FiddleChickAZ

Postby Cattermole » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:44 pm

I can't help you with the violins but may I say what a smashing dress you're wearing. :P
"...somebody correct me please if i have said bullshits"
Cattermole

Postby Duozona » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:11 pm

FiddleChickAZ,

I see you are in Phoenix, do you play 'Hot Club' style, I can only assume if you are on these boards, drop me a line sometime, we can get together and play if you'd like.

Chuck-AZ

http://www.myspace.com/deserthotswing
Duozona

Postby clausci » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:54 am

talking about the first violin:
it seems to be a good violin, very nice to see, i dont know if is really a "Naples school" violin anyway if you have a liuther he surely can tell you more... you buy in a shop or by a liuther?
i see clearly that the violin is restaureted recently.
the one thing i cannot see clearly s that on the back, the wood venatures often can also be painted, in the sense that if you are very near the wood u can see it ... there are the venatures vertical "under" the painting orizontal, wich confere much age and beauty to the back. i cant see it clearly so just take a look...and take a look to the "sides" (sorry for my english) , you havent post them images so you can see if they look different wood in confront of the rest.

the second violin looks industrial by these two pics.
Claudio
clausci

Postby FiddleChickAZ » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:52 pm

Thanks for your pointers and your English is fine.
Both of these violins were gifts, so I know little about them or their bows. The second (auburn) has no label but looks like it could be a Chinese mass-produced. The first (blonde) is cracked and chipped on top, but otherwise in good shape. The last two digits of the date on the label are penciled in, does that indicate that it was made by some unknown little luthier rather than being assembly line?
We have a wonderful repair/appraisal shop whose owner can give me an OTC for $10-free, depending on the value of the instrument. If either were worth anything, I'd spend a bit more to get a written for insurance.
FiddleChickAZ

Return to Gypsy Jazz Violin