Tim Kliphuis DVD's?

All about violins and their players

Moderators: Zoot, lnb

Tim Kliphuis DVD's?

Postby polkat » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:12 am

Now that it's February. any new word on the coming Kliphuis instructional DVD's?
polkat

Postby spatzo » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:31 am

It's already out I think !
spatzo

Postby polkat » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:36 am

Thanks! If so, who's offering it?
polkat

Postby spatzo » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:17 am

Sorry I forgot the most important :

http://www.hyperhipmedia.com/HM0016.html
spatzo

Postby polkat » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:45 pm

Wow! Those prices kill it for me. Maybe after a while they will come down.
polkat

Postby Ganondorf » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:32 am

ONLY $139. Wtf!!! I am amazed at who these people think they are when they think they can demand all this amount of money for a dvd. Just because they think they have reinvented the feckin wheel and theres all these supposedly "secrets of the masters" in there. What a load of bollocks. GET WIT PROGRAM!!!!!! :D
Ganondorf

Postby Ganondorf » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:36 am

I wouldnt mind but he dont even sound like grappelli!!!!!

You cant beat a bit of shitkickin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qst6Dqh4 ... re=related
Ganondorf

Postby DennisC » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:11 am

that's the price for 2 dvds not one... but if you realize how much work went into producing these, you'd realize how justified these prices are.. we're talking months of preparation , for lesson plan, thousands of dollars in lighting / videoproduction / audio production (these aren't filmed with a 200 dollar camera nor are they recorded on a cheap microphone)... finally , please let us know of any instructional video that lasts about 3 hours each on average.. 2 DVDs, 6 hours total...

tim kliphuis is a really fantastic violinist, with a strong knowledge of trad jazz (Grappelli, stuff smith, venuti, etc...)

www.myspace.com/timkliphuis

with the same kind of reasoning, after clicking your website, i see you are selling wilton picks... 3.50 quids.. that's 7 dollars canadian... what a rip off, i can get dunlop picks that bireli plays with for 25 canadian cents which is about 0.12 in your currency)
DennisC

Postby polkat » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:30 am

Don't get me wrong. I think Kliphuis is extreemly good, does sound like Grappelli when he wants to, and I'd really like to have these.

But I also worked professionally in video (and film) for many years producing, directing, and other behind the camera positions, and helped on many other productions as well, both dramatic and musical, until recently retiring. Does that mean I know more then you? No, of course not! But i do know that these DVD's priced too high for the present market. Consider that most new multimillion dollar hi-level film productions, (dramatic and otherwise) using the best producers, directors, lighting, camera, editing, and other technical people, and often featuring top musical talent, sell outright on (1 or 2 disk) DVD for maybe 1/5th this amount.

I am sure that the musical material offered is among the best, as Kliphuis's stuff usually is. I'm just saying that as a middle class citizen in these trying financial times, I sure can't afford it, and I'm betting that's true for others on this site.
polkat

Postby DennisC » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:22 am

hi polkat, my reply wasn't directed at you and I can understand the financial times... but think of it from our side as well, we spent thousands of dollars on this and we are a small team, and we did most of the work ourselves since we can't afford to hire the best editors either... we put in literally hundreds of hours into this (no joke).. this is also a very speciliazed style of music... unlike some hollywood movie, we are NOT going to be selling thousands upon thousands of copies... we'll make some money from this for sure, but not enough to get rich and retire... just enough to justify the hours we put into it.

furthermore our dvds are roughly a bit more than twice the price of a competing companies videos ... these such videos are often poorly produced (ie the hired artist does not know what to teach) and last about an hour....

with our dvds, there is no bullshit. I spent a lot of time with tim on skype working up the plan... i researched the material that was currently available, devised a lesson plan, discussed it at great length with tim, drafted the plan, sent it to him, and he spent more time finetuning the lessons, etc... these dvds (like mine) are specifically designed for people who don't have access to qualified teachers.. unlike the other companies.. these dvds are not meant to be watched in one single sitting, it's got about 3-4 years worth of contents. Furthermore, the hyperhipmedia site will seen be more interactive (beyond just the forum), so you'll be able to get extra help

We're really going after BOTH QUALITY and QUANTITY and we feel the price is justified, if you cannot afford it given the economic situation , we perfectly understand... quality instruction is not a right, it's a privilege... we are NOT forcing anyone to buy our videos either... my dream is to live in New York and jam/learn with/from the best... i cannot afford it... imagine if i acted like ganondorf and complained about New York being too expensive, blablalbla.. it's utterly ridiculous,,,

my guitar dvds have sold over 3000 copies (i've released 5 dvds) they are the same price as tim's dvd... we have not gotten one SINGLE bad review with regards to the content , and most advertising was done through word of mouth... as producer of all the dvds, my goal is once agian QUALITY and QUANTITY...

I'd like to refer you to a user review of my dvds on djangobooks.com :

"I've tried both the Michael Dunn and Denis Chang videos. Bought the Michael Dunn on ebay very cheap (can't remember how much, but I think it was only about $10 or $15). If you think of it as a very inexpensive guitar lesson that you get to keep and review, it's well worth it. It gives you at least a week or two of things to practice and 3 or 4 basic chords. It's quick. It's easy. You can start making gypsy sounds right away.

I paid 4 or 5 times as much for the Denis Chang video and it has easily 10 times the info. It's like buying a couple of months of lessons. I'm glad I bought them both, but if I were to recommend one, Denis' is definitely more comprehensive. He's a great teacher."

so brand new on amazon.com, you pay 29.99 for a 30 minute lesson that has information that isn't hundred percent correct (with all due respect to the author)

vs

59.99 , for an almost 3 hour dvd with a lesson plan that was researched by going straight to the source and getting the approval of the source (fapy lafertin, herve gaguenetti, rosenberg family, etc...)... a 3 hour lesson that has about 2 years worth of material

the same attention to detail went into producing tim's dvds
DennisC

Postby DennisC » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:36 am

finally in response to the comment that tim doesn't sound like grappelli (based on just one video)... first of all, just because tim is very familiar with grappelli's style doesn't mean he has to play in that style all the time....

check out the videos/CDs of him playing with fapy or the rosenberg trio.... fapy is a hardcore purist, he wouldn't have worked with tim if he couldn't do it right.... same goes for the rosenberg trio..
DennisC

Postby Ganondorf » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:37 am

lol, thanks for setting me straight DennisC :wink:
Ganondorf

Postby polkat » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:20 am

Yes, (sigh) I do understand production, big and small.

"...quality instruction is not a right, it's a privilege..."

Woah...this is quickly getting too strange for me! You mean that it's a privilege, but only if you can't afford it??

Thanks for the responses (sincerely) but I'm outta here.
polkat

Postby pinkgary » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:04 pm

That's what privilege means... If you can afford it.
Keep music Evil
pinkgary

Postby Gmajor » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:41 pm

Good point well made about the plectrum not enough said about this subject.I've tried the Wilton pick well crafted and nice in the hand but it makes your fingers swell up like sausages I think some reaction who know's.the dunlop pick big stubby i use.
Gmajor

Next

Return to Gypsy Jazz Violin