Learning to think in arpeggios?

All about violins and their players

Moderators: Zoot, lnb

Learning to think in arpeggios?

Postby polkat » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:33 am

Okay guys, I've been struggling with this for too long. I'm studying swing jazz (think Grappelli) and presently I can improvise fairly well basically using scales....and that's the problem. All my licks sound heavily scale based. I am aware that arpeggios are a mainstay of this kind of improvising, but I've been having problems thinking in an arpeggio mindset. I have most of the Gypsy jazz, Django, and Grappelli books, but they only seem to cover basic scales.

Can anyone suggest any books that discuss and teach the use of arpeggios in swing jazz?
polkat

Postby pinkgary » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:40 pm

i have a friend who plays violin who bought "getting into gypsy jazz violin" & had the same problem, i lent her "getting into gypsy jazz guitar" the Stephan Wrembel book, and using the exercises in that her arpeggio playing has got a lot better.

The best advice is to just play arpeggios & stop playing scales.... Just do it....

Start with minor swing... Go through every possible Am, Dm & E7 arp & then just use them, you'll soon be able to change effortlessly from one to another in the middle of a phrase, which is essential, and then you'll start hearing what you can do with them before you play it, which is essentially what you're after...
Keep music Evil
pinkgary

Postby BluesBopHarry » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:21 pm

BluesBopHarry

Return to Gypsy Jazz Violin