Jacques Montagne Quartet EP

Help and advise on using the Encyclopedia and requesting info on submissions to it

Moderators: Caballero, Zoot

Jacques Montagne Quartet EP

Postby Zoot » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:43 pm

I can only find reference to one EP released by Jacques Montagne called the "Jacques Montagne Quartet"

There are 2 tracks on the Gipsy Jazz School CD does anyone know where they came from, was it another LP or just a session that was recorded?
"Night in Tunisia" & "Charmaine".

Cheers
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Zoot
Site Admin

Postby Caballero » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:20 pm

DUH! look at the liner notes, jam session at Le Lantern, I think, one of Baro's gaffs?
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby TedGottsegen » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:21 pm

Zoot - Still looking for my Joseph documentation, it's buried at the bottom of one of many boxes that haven't been unpacked since moving. Please standby.

Montange released one EP under his own name and guested on another album by John O'Brien Docker called "Gipsy Swing" released on Columbia Germany, and guested on another EP (a private recording I believe) by a tap dancer named Mimi Blacker. There are two known private recordings featuring Montage at Baro's hang La Lantern, one that the Gipsy School tracks were taken from, and another with some other tracks. He also recorded with Baro (Swing Valses) and Matelo (four tracks on Tziganskaia). That's all that I have for him.

Best,

Ted
TedGottsegen

Postby Zoot » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:24 pm

Top notch info as usual, thanks Ted.

See Cabbo this is the level of co-operation i was expecting.

Love S
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Zoot
Site Admin

Postby Caballero » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:11 pm

TedGottsegen wrote:... and guested on another album by John O'Brien Docker called "Gipsy Swing" released on Columbia Germany

That's surely not 'Bob' Docker is it ????
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby TedGottsegen » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:53 pm

Caballero wrote:
TedGottsegen wrote:... and guested on another album by John O'Brien Docker called "Gipsy Swing" released on Columbia Germany

Yep! The very same...
TedGottsegen

Postby stublag » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:35 pm

TedGottsegen wrote:
Caballero wrote:

Yep! The very same...

Actually Ted its not Bob 'staple fingers'Docker(of the notorious Quintette de hotclub d'angleterre),its his older brother John who was a much better player.
This info from Alastair 'tortoise shell' Stanley who knew both Bob and John and was,btw, MC for Bireli's 1st ever apperance in the Uk at the Goethe institute.

Stu
stublag

Postby Teddy Dupont » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:13 pm

I just happened to stumble upon this thread again and in all honesty, setting aside all the "legendary" hype tosh, Jacques Montagne was surely at best a very ordinary guitarist. Most of the time he seemed to be playing beyond his technical and creative capability, often losing his timing and frequently sounding simply manic.

I have not listened to those sides with Docker for many years but from what I can recall, he seemed to be in the final stages of delirium tremens throughout.

However, he did compensate for this by being a bit of a pretty boy:-
Attachments
Jacques Montagne Close Up.jpg
Jacques Montagne Close Up.jpg (32.73 KiB) Viewed 12707 times
Teddy Dupont

Postby Djangoslefthandman » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:31 am

Ah la vive romantique is on a bypass some distance from Dupont Towers.

The mystique associated with this music (not least Django) is a great selling point and hooks the casual passer by in a compelling narrative. Think of the Delta Blues, selling your soul at the crossroads for the requisite mojo. Picture Jacques Montagne in a smokey basement bar in Paris, playing with abandon to a collection of dubious characters in the early hours of the morning and you are in this musics natural habitat.

In truth, by and large I tend to be a bit disappointed by the recorded output of these obscure legends, but each of us will have our favourites and I love Sarrene Ferret for no good reason other than I do.
Djangoslefthandman

Postby Phydeaux3 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:25 am

So did he record a 4 track ep with the titles Iron Man, X-Man, Goldy, Canone. Check Django Station. (Sorry Steve)
Alors! Un, deux...
Phydeaux3

Postby Teddy Dupont » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:55 am

Phydeaux3 wrote:So did he record a 4 track ep with the titles Iron Man, X-Man, Goldy, Canone. Check Django Station. (Sorry Steve)

Indeed he did and these beautifully titled pieces actually contain his best recorded performances - very Django 1947.
Teddy Dupont

Postby Teddy Dupont » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:42 pm

Here is one from that EP. At least he seems to have taken something to calm himself down and is generally playing the same tune as the rhythm players which did not always seem to be the case.
Attachments

Jacques Montagne - X-man.mp3 [ 2.2 MiB | Viewed 12685 times ]

Teddy Dupont

Postby Teddy Dupont » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:21 pm

Djangoslefthandman wrote: ........and I love Sarrene Ferret for no good reason other than I do.

Pour vous avec Gus Viseur:-
Attachments

Sarane Ferret - Daphne.mp3 [ 2.05 MiB | Viewed 12666 times ]

Teddy Dupont

Postby Djangoslefthandman » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:30 pm

Thanks Teddy, that's great.

Joyful sounds, bounces along like a show pony.

Thanks again.
Djangoslefthandman

Postby patrus le sommelier » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:11 pm

Have a look on my website for MP3 Live of Jacques Montagne

www.patrus53.com

also you can get the EP remastered on iTunes for like $10
and I paid that EP years ago about $80
not its 0,99 cents per tracks on itunes !!!!!!

patrus
patrus le sommelier

Next

Return to Gypsy Jazz Encyclopedia