Django's Epiphone

Help and advise on using the Encyclopedia and requesting info on submissions to it

Moderators: Caballero, Zoot

Django's Epiphone

Postby Zoot » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:30 pm

Does anyone have a decent picture of Django with his Epiphone

Many thanks for looking
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Zoot
Site Admin

Postby Teddy Dupont » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:50 pm

Not very good quality but:-
Attachments
Django Epiphone 3 (mod).JPG
DJANGO EPIPHONE 2 (MOD).JPG
Teddy Dupont

Postby Zoot » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:20 am

Merci Monsieur Ted
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Zoot
Site Admin

Postby Teddy Dupont » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:26 am

I am doing a thorough check but I think the only photos of Django with the Epiphone are from that short film.
Teddy Dupont

Postby Zoot » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:32 am

I guess this is it as well - with the late Fred Sharp

http://www.cleveland.oh.us/wmv_news/jazz104.htm
Zoot
Site Admin

Postby Lmntry » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:12 am

Hi Teddy:

Do you happen to have a few good shots of Django using the Epiphone electar amp ?
I saw there was a few in your compilation on a different thread.

Did he use that amp a lot for his electric work ?

thanks

David
Lmntry

Postby Teddy Dupont » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:13 pm

Lmntry wrote:Do you happen to have a few good shots of Django using the Epiphone electar amp ?

There are very few photos of Django with any type of amplifier. He appears to be using the Epiphone (far left) in this photo taken at Boeuf sur le Toit in early 1947:-

Lmntry wrote:Did he use that amp a lot for his electric work ?

Django tended to use whatever equipment was to hand both at gigs and recording sessions so we cannot be sure. Since he appears to be using the Epiphone amp here in March 1947, I think it is very probable he uses it on many of those electric recordings made during that year. However, in typically confusing manner, the only recording we have of him with his "Boeuf sur le Toit" orchestra from April, 1947 has him playing acoustic.
Teddy Dupont

Postby Teddy Dupont » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:24 pm

....He almost certainly used the Stimer amp on his last recordings:-

Teddy Dupont

Postby Lmntry » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:37 pm

Thanks Teddy....
I forgot about the stimer amp. :?

There are two pic's in the compilation you posted , as well as one that looks like a gibson amp to the left of Django... (EH150) ?
The photo is so bad you really can't even be sure what it is.

David
Attachments
tzu4.jpg
tzu4.jpg (170.41 KiB) Viewed 9440 times
selmer_compilation_227 2.JPG
selmer_compilation_227 2.JPG (401.28 KiB) Viewed 9440 times
Lmntry

Postby Teddy Dupont » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:52 pm

Lmntry wrote:There are two pic's in the compilation you posted , as well as one that looks like a gibson amp to the left of Django... (EH150) ?

The top photo is essentially the same as the two I posted earlier in this thread. It is a still from a short film sequence of Django playing an Epiphone guitar in May 1946 before he went to America. These are all from the film and I have never seen any other photographs of Django playing this combination:-

Since this amp looked the same as the one in the 1947 Boeuf sur le Toit picture, I thought it possible he may have had this particular one for some time. The other photo in the montage is the often used pic of him at Nice in 1948 with Challain Ferret:-

Here he is also using an Epiphone amp but obviously a different model. I think it is quite possible he only used this guitar and amp when he sat in at this particular gig. He played acoustic in the Nice concert and I cannot imagine Django ever taking two guitars anywhere. I do not recall seeing any subsequent photos of him using an Epiphone amp.

All the copies of the 1951 Nicholas Brothers photo are so bad it is difficult to see what amp he is using.

However, it does not look exactly the same as this one also from 1951 at Club St Germain des Pres?
Image[/

It looks like a Stimer in this one with Dizzy Gillespie from 1952:-
Image[/

No idea what this is from the Tony Proteau, Jazz Varietes session in 1953.

I'll have another look but I think these are all the photos of Django with an amp.
Teddy Dupont

Postby Teddy Dupont » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:04 am

Another shot of the amp at the Tony Proteau session and I'm being really kind here and giving you a good size pic :roll: :-

Image[/
Teddy Dupont

Postby Teddy Dupont » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:51 pm

Here is a better copy of the Club St Germain des Pres photo:-
Image[/
Teddy Dupont

Djangos Epiphone and Amplifier

Postby Jazz Eddie » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:14 am

http://www.paulvernonchester.com/DjangosEpiphone.htm

Well i have compiled a few pictures and facts here on Django's Electric era.
If you have anything to add please advise me.
Jazz Eddie

Postby Teddy Dupont » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:51 pm

I think it is highly unlikely Django ever owned an Epiphone. The short film footage of Django playing one was actually taken before he went to America in May, 1946. In good quality copies of the photo below, you can just see Eugene Vees (between Django and Joseph) holding what looks like the same Epiphone - it was probably his. This photo was also taken in 1946 just before Django went to the USA:-

All the photos of Django in America, other when he borrowed other peoples guitars (Fred Guy/Harry Volpe), show him playing the same Gibson. He is even playing it in his hotel room at the end of his stay:-

There is no tangible evidence of Django with an Epiphone after his return to France. The USA Gibson was never seen again either and it is not the one he playing here in Nice in 1948 as is often stated.

Both Fred Sharp and Babik Reinhardt's claims are very suspect and according to Scot Wise, Fred was always rather vague about the Epiphone and it subsequently mysteriously disappeared.

Django had no real interest in guitars as such. All the indications are that he only ever owned one at a time. He certainly had the same Selmer throughout the war and well into the late forties. The idea of him also keeping an Epiphone which he never played and which only surfaced after he died is pretty unconvincing. The Fred Sharp Epiphone may have been a guitar he played it once as he played many guitars but I doubt he ever owned it and I am sure it was not one he brought back from America.
Teddy Dupont

Epic Ephiphone Episode

Postby Jazz Eddie » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:54 am

Mmm an interesting speculation Teddy.
If you look closely at the amps there seems to be quite a variety in addition to the Epiphone Zephyr. A magnifying glass may lead to the sources of those corner reinforced boxes. Is it not likely that with his contempt for the American instruments he lightened his load and jettisoned or returned the offending Gibson now so revered by others.
Such is the Legend and the need for more facts.
Jazz Eddie

Next

Return to Gypsy Jazz Encyclopedia