All that Jazz

Help and advise on using the Encyclopedia and requesting info on submissions to it

Moderators: Caballero, Zoot

All that Jazz

Postby Gmajor » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:19 pm

Please help me out what the Heck is Jazz. could you define it feel FREE?
Gmajor

Postby nuages » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:58 pm

nuages

jazz

Postby Gmajor » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:24 pm

Thanks for the link Nuages. Improvisation is the art of acting and reacting, in the moment, to one's surroundings I agree with the definination and that's what's so wounderful about Jazz long live Jazz. one question do you need to rehears after rehearsal to prepair for that moment of Jazz. If you stick to a ridgit format ie set note for note Django lead's are you stile taking part in this process of Jazz.
Gmajor

jazz

Postby Gmajor » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:27 pm

Thanks for the link Nuages.
Last edited by Gmajor on Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gmajor

jazz

Postby Gmajor » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:29 pm

Thanks for the link Nuages.
Last edited by Gmajor on Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gmajor

jazz

Postby Gmajor » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:37 pm

Improvisation is the art of acting and reacting, in the moment, to one's surroundings I agree with the definination and that's what's so wounderful about Jazz long live Jazz. one question do you need to rehears after rehearsal to prepair for that moment of Jazz. If your sticking to a format ie set note for note Django lead's are you still taking part in this process of Jazz.
Gmajor

Postby satriani » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:40 pm

i looked at that wikipedia site and here is the jist of 'Jazz'

Jazz as a genre is often difficult to define, but improvisation is a key element of the form. Improvisation has been an essential element in African and African-American music since early forms of the music developed, and is closely related to the use of call and response in West African and African-American cultural expression.

The form of improvisation has changed over time. Early folk blues music often was based around a call and response pattern, and improvisation would factor in the lyrics, the melody, or both. In Dixieland jazz, musicians take turns playing the melody while the others improvise countermelodies. In contrast to the classical form, where performers try to play the piece exactly as the author envisioned it, the goal in jazz is often to create a new interpretation, changing the melody, harmonies, even the time signature. If classical music is the composer's medium, jazz is able to stand up for the rights of the performer too, to 'adroitly weigh the respective claims of the composer and the improviser' [3]. :wink:
Ywngwie is god!
satriani

Postby Gmajor » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:56 pm

Musician's with a background of playing and performing like sea lion's at the local theme park find it difficuilt to accept that people who want to go and Listen to Jazz will be prepared for that unpredictability it's just like my spelling and grammer that's me cheers Gmajor.( life's like a box of chocolates you don't Know what you will get Next)
Gmajor

Postby Gadjo » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:32 pm

According to Terry Eagleton's book 'The Meaning of Life'.........

The meaning of like is like a jazz band, individuals engaged on a collective endeavour in pursuit of happiness through the mutuality of love.

Sums it up for me.
Gadjo

jazz

Postby Gmajor » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:11 pm

If more people played Jazz the world would be a better place. Keep Djangoin and be Happy django works for me.
Gmajor

Postby LuLu » Mon May 21, 2007 5:28 am

The best definition I have heard is: "Jazz is never playing the same thing once" - Anonymous (quoted from Dix Bruce) :D
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing
LuLu

Postby satriani » Mon May 28, 2007 11:11 pm

I watched a good film last week called "twenty four hour party people". A great quote from the film........." Jazz is what you play when you can't get a gig!".

I was quite amused :D
Ywngwie is god!
satriani

Postby dan-c » Wed May 30, 2007 2:39 pm

i cant remember whos quote this was at the time,
said that jazz was the only form of true expression
left in the 20th century.
dan-c

Return to Gypsy Jazz Encyclopedia