Django and Val Doonican

Ask our resident Doctor your troubling questions

Moderator: Teddy Dupont

Django and Val Doonican

Postby Gadjo » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:20 pm

Dear Dr Dupont
My mother informs me that Django made an appearance on last night's programme on the life of ol' VD (BBC4, 9.00pm). She recounted that our man was a major influence on the rocking chaired crooner's guitar playing and that Django (shock, horror) had a damaged left hand. Film was shown of said hand apparently.
Being a typical Val fan yourself I trust you watched this and can enlighten me further.
Gadjo

Postby Teddy Dupont » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:04 pm

Dear Mr Gadjo,

I'm afraid I missed this program as I have spent so much money on strings, picks, replacement bridges and Korean guitars that keep exploding into wood slivers as soon as you start to play them that I cannot afford to get the facility of BBC 4. I was, however, aware of this program and of Val's love for the great Django Reinhardt. He and I had discussed it many times around the rocking chair as we sifted through our collections of cutting edge cardigans and sipped on a pale cream sherry. Ah! Those Irish pubs!

I do remember many, many years ago when I was but a youth that Val used to regularly play Django records on his radio program and eulogise about him. This was before he became a TV and "pop" star.

Val's guitar accompaniment to his acoustic version of "Paddy McGinty's Goat" is so Django, it can bring tears to your eyes (as did his pale cream sherry).

Presumably, your dear Mother recorded this for me? If not, I'm sure Cabo has.

Kind regards,

Teddy
Teddy Dupont

Postby Teddy Dupont » Tue May 06, 2008 8:03 am

It was on BBC2 last night and had the Hague and La Route du Bonheur clips on with Val eulogising about Django for a brief while.
Teddy Dupont

Postby Dennis » Tue May 06, 2008 3:22 pm

In Martin Taylor's autobiography he says when he was young he had a Val Doonican record he loved because the cover photograph featured Val, in a typical polo-neck sweater, holding a very attractive guitar which he coveted.

At Christmas MT's mother said she had noticed how much time he'd spent gazing lovingly at the record and had got him a present. He held his breath waiting for the guitar and got... a hand-knitted polo-neck sweater....

The follow up was that when MT became better known and told Val the story, Val presented him with the guitar from the record cover.

What a nice chap.

D.
Dennis

Postby Dennis » Tue May 06, 2008 3:24 pm

The whole programme is available for a week on the BBC I Player on their website.

D.
Dennis

Postby kimmo » Fri May 09, 2008 1:49 pm

Dennis wrote:At Christmas MT's mother said she had noticed how much time he'd spent gazing lovingly at the record and had got him a present. He held his breath waiting for the guitar and got... a hand-knitted polo-neck sweater....

The follow up was that when MT became better known and told Val the story, Val presented him with the guitar from the record cover.

D.

So MT never got the original sweater? Just a hand-knitted replica and a second-hand old guitar...
kimmo

Postby Dennis » Tue May 13, 2008 12:49 pm

No, no, no. You've completely misunderstood my post.

It was a hand-knitted Selmer with lycra strings (for that body hugging feel) and a second hand packet of Polo Mints.

Why you no risten? (Obscure Benny Hill reference).

D.
Dennis

Return to Trust Me I'm a Doctor