OzManouche 2006

International Gypsy Jazz performances or meetings

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

OzManouche 2006

Postby emackenz » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:36 am

Hello to all the antipodeans amongst us. :)
It's on!!
OzManouche 2006 - the inaugural Australian Gypsy Jazz Festival!
In Brisbane Queensland over the weekend of November 17-19 2006.
Featuring Ian Date from Ireland, Nigel Date from Sydney, Doch, Mystery Pacific and Cameron Ford Quartet from Brisbane, Duck Musique and Ninety Pound Niglo from Melbourne and more.
Full details soon at
http://www.ozmanouche.com

see you there!!
Ewan
emackenz

Postby emackenz » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:41 am

A couple of things of interest to Forum members:

Ross Hetherington, who does so much good work in the Powertab department - see the Powertab section on this site - will be playing in Ninety Pound Niglo.

Ian Date released a CD with Robin Nolan in 2005 that you can buy in Zoot's excellent shop. He'll be working with his bro Nigel.

cheers
Ewan
emackenz

Re: OzManouche 2006

Postby Caballero » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:40 pm

[quote="emackenz"] Ninety Pound Niglo from Melbourne

What a fantastic name, I'm blown away! :D
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby maca » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:11 pm

Nice one Ewan.Good luck!
maca

Postby emackenz » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:11 am

Thanks Maca! I've just found out the Joscho Stephan Trio are touring Australia in October with Tommy Emmanuel, our greatest six string export :) . It would have been great to get them too, but they'll be gone I guess. I've emailed the promoter so...you never know.
emackenz

Postby emackenz » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:51 am

Busy few weeks - played with the Doch Gypsy Orchestra for a week - Daniel Weltlinger blew us all away! - then went to Sydney for the Joscho Stephan show (supported by Tommy :) ) then off to Melbourne to meet and play with the guys (and gal) from Duck Musique, 90lb Niglos and the wonderfully named Manouche a Trois - thanks to Jules, Caley, Steve, Liam, Ross and Lindsay for a great weekend of Django madness!!
see you all in November for OzManouche 2006!!
http://www.ozmanouche.com
emackenz

OzManouche 2006 Review by Dan

Postby emackenz » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:31 am

So a budding young GJ guitarist from Alsace , now working in Australia misses his flight home. He returns to his hotel, and feeling down and out, goes for a walk around the block.
He hears music coming from the direction of the river , and can't believe his eyes when he sees a poster for the inaugural Django festival in Australia '' OZmanouche 2006''
Unfortunately its booked out so he can't come inside , however after a brief altercation with the doorman , he is up at the bar with his eyeballs out on sticks and a grin from ear to ear.
I last saw him at a late night Jam at Cameron Ford?s place having a ball, until the Gendarmes arrived and moved us on [they were really nice about it actually].
Highlights were so many -
Melb. duo '' Ninety Pound Niglo'' opened the event with Ross '' Fat Niglo '' Hetherington on pompe, and Lindsay Barclay on lead - the crowd loved their blazing version of '' Man of Mystery ''
Doch - I love Balkan Gypsy music and this group seriously rocked - the dance floor was packed !
Duck Musique - these ducks fly ! And what about chanteuse Kelsey belting out ''You are my sunshine'' to the Dark Eyes melody , while sipping on a glass of red ?
Mystery Pacific - Ewan MacKenzie?s five piece Gypsy swing band [Ewan studied with Lollo Meier and it shows ].
Cameron Ford Quartet - these guys played at the morning after breakfast - a swinging way to wake up !
Ian Date and Nigel '' Hot Lips '' Date - great performance - great playing and personality in buckets.Great master class from Ian also ,fully booked out - get in early next time everyone.
Grand Boeuf - the big Jam - wow ! Ian , Ewan and Cameron joined by three young guns , Jules , from Manouche a trios , Francis from Band of Monkeys [ that what he told me they were ], and Pauly Bulanyi, [from out of nowhere] who ripped through a set of Baro waltzes then proceeded to play a perfect version of Django?s Improvisation no1 - all on a $25 Blueridge guitar ! Also on stage was a young lady named Miranda who looked like a Hungarian Princess and pomped like Hono !.
And the endless jams with accordionist Kay from '' Swing Fever '' who said the Violin master class with Fred Graham from Mystery Pacific was excellent.
Low lights ? Nearly throwing the Hodson into the river after trying to keep up with Pauly on '' Panique ''
And what a great venue '' Guiangette Ozmanouche '' on the Brisbane river .
Thanks to everyone not mentioned included [violinists , bass players etc. and to Remco [can you get Stochelos number for me ? ] , Paul Davies , and the very patient Mrs. - '' Ewan come to bed its 4am '' MacKenzie., and all the cool guys I jammed with , Greg, Tiny etc.
Everyone please call me when you come to Melb.
Cheers,
Dan.
Hope the French guy got home OK.
emackenz

Postby Ganondorf » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:39 pm

brill!
Ganondorf

Return to International Events