Samois: Anyone know what that track was?

International Gypsy Jazz performances or meetings

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Samois: Anyone know what that track was?

Postby deuxdoigtsgauches » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:36 pm

Hi does anyone know what that track was that got played over again between sets on the first couple of days of Samois this year? Someone told me it might be a Count Basie track. it was a mid tempo tune and started off with a riff by the horns with a response from the rhythm section which happened about 4 times and then kicked into a 4 notes to the bar walking bassline, I've got about 4 bars of it stuck in my head still nearly a week later.

Also I don't suppose anyone got a vid or recording of Stochelo and tim kliphuis playing that sickening version of sweet georgia brown (the one where they started again cause the chap lost his kid about the place somewhere)
deuxdoigtsgauches

Postby Djangophile » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:00 am

I'd also like to see again the gypsy bursting onto the stage during Sweet Georgia Brown, it was the highlight of Stochelo's set. I find Stochelo totally boring - he plays the same set-piece solos in a machine like way, albeit with great technique (so what). It was nice to see him bring on Fijkelie to add a bit of musicality.....
Djangophile

Postby deuxdoigtsgauches » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:55 pm

Well nobody forced you to watch the set.
deuxdoigtsgauches

Postby Djangophile » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:10 am

And you wrote: "Also I don't suppose anyone got a vid or recording of Stochelo and tim kliphuis playing that sickening version of sweet georgia brown"

Or is "sickening" a compliment.....and if not why do you want to see it again? Or are you sick yourself?
Djangophile

Postby Ganondorf » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:31 am

fight,fight,fight,fight,fight,fight,fight, :D
Ganondorf

Postby deuxdoigtsgauches » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:24 am

sickening is a compliment yes
deuxdoigtsgauches

Return to International Events