Aria MM-20...it isn't half bad for that price.

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Aria MM-20...it isn't half bad for that price.

Postby sintygypsy86 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:52 am

Slap on a nice pickup, get a new nut piece at the top, raise the bridge just a bit, and get some nice gypsy strings and you got yourself a nice starters gitane for 200 bucks
sintygypsy86

Postby Jon Payne » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:39 pm

I have a friend who is a very professional jazz guitar player who did just that! He has many guitars, each worth thousands of dollars but he has made his Aria Gypsy guitar his main guitar and is very affectionate of it. We were pleased with the sound of the guitar and satisfied that it had the "Django" sound. The last I've heard of my friend he was playing at the Blue Note down in New York City. Perhaps using his Aria!! It's a shame that some companies chauvenistically insecurely insult the Aria MM by calling it a little toy while other companies, secure in their Gypsy guitar products applaude the Aria and give credit where credit is due. I think that sintygypsy86 has reviewed the guitar squarely on the head. I'd listen to his opinions anytime!!
Jon Payne

Postby paynej49 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:31 am

Jon Payne wrote:I have a friend who is a very professional jazz guitar player who did just that! He has many guitars, each worth thousands of dollars but he has made his Aria Gypsy guitar his main guitar and is very affectionate of it. We were pleased with the sound of the guitar and satisfied that it had the "Django" sound. The last I've heard of my friend he was playing at the Blue Note down in New York City. Perhaps using his Aria!! It's a shame that some companies chauvenistically insecurely insult the Aria MM by calling it a little toy while other companies, secure in their Gypsy guitar products applaude the Aria and give credit where credit is due. I think that sintygypsy86 has reviewed the guitar squarely on the head. I'd listen to his opinions anytime!!
Well, it's been a year now and to date my friend (John Suters) would have it known that the Aria is indeed a cheap guitar but still maintains that it is a good guitar for the price.
Isn't that the essence of what a Selmer is anyway? A cheap guitar but one made with good woods? Listen, for $7,000 I want a guitar with some SOLID woods for the back and sides. Never mind capturing that elusive "Gypsy" sound. If the guitar is made using three plys of wood then it is prone to bacteria getting inbetwen the woods and warping. So much for "extra added strength and longentivity". If it is made using solid woods then it will sound well. As a guitar should.
That is why I am such a proponent for the "underdog". I mean if we are going to expound on the virtues of the Selmer as an instrument then we might as well expound on the cheap but good instruments as they come along. And that means Aria!
Believe me, once my friend played my Cigano in the parking lot after a gig there was no comparison in his eyes. He was so enthralled with the baby Gitane and it's playability. But we still maintain that the Aria is a good guitar for it's price.
paynej49

Postby crookedpinky » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:44 am

A Happy New year to you all.....

great to see someone supporting Arias, I have a Grande Bouche model which I bought from the Aria shop on Ebay. It was being sold as a second as it was described a having a sunken top. Including freight charges it cost me £90.00 When it arrived the top had a very very very slight dip but nothing major. After changing the strings and shimming the bridge it sounded fine to me.

At that time I had nothing to compare it against - apart from a Richwood and an SX neither of which are really gypsy guitars. I then bought a Cigano oval hole which is a great guitar and retailed for the same price as the Aria at full price.

The Cigano is a great guitar and in the opinion of a well respected maker is actually a more accurate representation of a Selmer than some of the more expensive Gitanes. After nine months of playing both in they have "opened" up and both sound great.

I recently bought a Dell Arte Angelo Debarre and out of the three guitars the Aria is by far the loudest. It regularly holds it's own during the Hot Club of Glasgow jam sessions and a couple of our group have since bought Arias as a result.

I also noticed a couple of guys at Samois playing Arias and they cut through just as well as anything else. To my shame I didn't take mine as I thought it would be scoffed at. And to an extent I was right, there are some people who would turn their noses up at the sight of my Aria. You can see the derogatory remarks made about Arias, dismissed out of hand as cheap rubbish elsewhere. I think this is unwarranted, certainly for my guitar, I love it and am more than happy with the sound, playability and volume.

My next door neighbour heard me playing it - through the wall - and thought I was playing a piano, that gives some idea of it's projection and tone.
The Crookedpinky
crookedpinky

Postby paynej49 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:58 am

crookedpinky wrote:A Happy New year to you all.....

great to see someone supporting Arias, I have a Grande Bouche model which I bought from the Aria shop on Ebay. It was being sold as a second as it was described a having a sunken top. Including freight charges it cost me £90.00 When it arrived the top had a very very very slight dip but nothing major. After changing the strings and shimming the bridge it sounded fine to me.

At that time I had nothing to compare it against - apart from a Richwood and an SX neither of which are really gypsy guitars. I then bought a Cigano oval hole which is a great guitar and retailed for the same price as the Aria at full price.

The Cigano is a great guitar and in the opinion of a well respected maker is actually a more accurate representation of a Selmer than some of the more expensive Gitanes. After nine months of playing both in they have "opened" up and both sound great.

I recently bought a Dell Arte Angelo Debarre and out of the three guitars the Aria is by far the loudest. It regularly holds it's own during the Hot Club of Glasgow jam sessions and a couple of our group have since bought Arias as a result.

I also noticed a couple of guys at Samois playing Arias and they cut through just as well as anything else. To my shame I didn't take mine as I thought it would be scoffed at. And to an extent I was right, there are some people who would turn their noses up at the sight of my Aria. You can see the derogatory remarks made about Arias, dismissed out of hand as cheap rubbish elsewhere. I think this is unwarranted, certainly for my guitar, I love it and am more than happy with the sound, playability and volume.

My next door neighbour heard me playing it - through the wall - and thought I was playing a piano, that gives some idea of it's projection and tone.
Yes, I can certainly see buying an Aria over some of these other guitars that have been coming out. And from the looks of your website it seems as though you could use an instrument with good volume to it. That the Cigano is a more acurate representation of a Selmer,huh? I have found it almost as easy to play as a classical and why should a steel string not be so? Like Django's guitar which seemed to vibrate almost as soon as one's hands began to approach the guitar so were the guitars of Herman Hauser which have been described as being very sympathetic in this respect.
Good luck to you and your band! Any idea where I may be able to get ahold of some of your CDs? I am want for some new music of the Django kind and I absolutely love what people have been doing with his creations at the present time.
And the Aria has a "piano" sound to it? What more could one ask for? Both my fathers(biological and adoptive) were piano players and so I would just love a guitar that could reproduce that sort of sound.
Also, the Aria would be a well advised instrument for the begining guitar student who may not have all that much money but would want the best guitar that they could afford.
Django on, Cuz, and do let me know of any available CDs:
paynej49@yahoo.com
Take care, Jon.
paynej49

Return to Guitars picks and strings etc..