Lost action on my Gitane DG-255

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Lost action on my Gitane DG-255

Postby sfe » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:48 am

The climate in Sweden has been very dry for the last weeks. Dry to the extent that the trees are starting to lose their leafs and the lawns has become yellow.
Picked out my DG-255 from its case for the first time during several months ( :oops: ) and saw that the top has sunk. It has almost nothing left of the belly that's intended to be there and to make it playable I had to replaced the 1mm bridge shims with 4mm ones, which looks quite stupid by the way.
Any comments?
Anyone here experienced the same?
What do you think will happen when the normal swedish moist summer climate returns?
sfe

Postby BachelorNo2 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:09 pm

i haven't experienced the problem before on my D500. But because you're shimming the bridge by 4mm it might be worth investing in another bridge, so you can swap it around in the summer when the action gets fuzzle-snaggled. I use bits of card to shim my bridge.
BachelorNo2

Postby sfe » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:05 pm

Yes. a new bridge has been in my planning since I first got the guitar 2 1/2 years ago, but I just haven't got around to that yet. :oops:
My worries right now concerns the quite big fluctuations in string height. Is this normal? Or at least "not unheard of"?
Last edited by sfe on Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sfe

Postby Ganondorf » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:40 pm

The climate must have dried it out lovely, so now its just right for BURNING :D
Ganondorf

Postby Cattermole » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:31 pm

Sounds a bit extreme for seasonal movement. Just out of interest, what was the original bridge height?
"...somebody correct me please if i have said bullshits"
Cattermole

Postby Djazzer » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:43 pm

Ganondorf wrote:The climate must have dried it out lovely, so now its just right for BURNING :D

Often wondered what happend to your D 500 so now we know :shock:
Djazzer

Postby BluesBopHarry » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:16 am

Use a humidifier.
BluesBopHarry

Postby sfe » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:05 am

Yes, I am an ignorant sloppy man! :wink:
I like to think that I'm not, but in this particular case I can't argue.
My old humidifier have seen its best days and since the last couple of years have been quite moist the year round where I live, I put it away. (And frankly, my wife complained about it smelling.) I have ordered a new one and actually did so before this mishap with my Gitane showed up.
(And I am building a closet solely for my instruments, which lost their designated room when my daughter needed a room of her own 3 years ago.)

Anyway, the difference between now and when the guitar was new seems to be around 3mm in bridge height. Maybe it´s all caused by a combination of dry climate and the guitar settling in over time. I actually haven't played it very much and maybe some smal changes have occured over the years and I haven't noticed.
The 4 mm shims I have now under the bridge did restore both a suitable string height (~3mm) and the sound. Things seems acceptable right now even if the guitar looks a bit stupid wiht those thick shims. When I received it new 2 1/2 years ago it had something like a hair over 2mm string height at the 12th fret on the low E so I emediately added 1mm shims to the bridge to get a string height that suited me better.

Thanks for your replies this far! :)
sfe

Postby Ganondorf » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:51 pm

heheheheheh :D
Ganondorf

Postby BluesBopHarry » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:27 am

Yeah a humidifier will help if the top has sunk...another thing to look for it's neck relief (bow) which can also affect action.
Anyway, 4mm. shims sound like way too much.
If changes in humidity and temperature are drastic where you live, you have to really take care of your guitar. Having two different bridges is a good idea but there shouldn't be more than 2-3 mm. difference between them.
BluesBopHarry

Postby frater » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:39 pm

Don't use "a humidifier", use a Dampit. Maybe two.
Good luck and don't despair, look at this!

http://www.taylorguitars.com/see-hear/

P.S.
It doesn't make sense to mess with different bridges till the proper curve of the top hasn't been restored. It's not just a problem of action here, the guitar will sound like shit anyway, even with a 4 mm action at the 12 fret...
"Et pas besoin d'avoir de fines moustaches pour jouer cette musique!" B. Lagréne
frater

Postby Ian Rossiter » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:18 pm

My 255 is suffering from a dry climate as well.
I'm in the middle of a two week stint in Northern Alberta. The temperatures have hit -40c with little to no humidity. Thankfully, the camp I'm staying in has humidifiers in the rooms, so at night the guitar plays/sounds as it should. In the day though, ( I'm on medical standby at a clinic at a gas plant, 12 hrs shifts by myself. Practice time galore!!!) the frets buzz, and the tone goes all tinny and small, even with trussrod tweaks. I have a humidifier in the case, but in order to keep the room warm , the heat needs to be cranked to compensate for the -40 conditions outside.
What some players in this neck of the woods do with their acoustic instruments is take them into the bathroom when they have a shower. I'm a bit hesitant to do that myself but lots of folks do that here.
"Practice,Practice EAT PRACTICE!!"- Tommy Tedesco
Ian Rossiter

Return to Guitars picks and strings etc..