Manouche or Colins?

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Manouche or Colins?

Postby ya-honza » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:18 am

I'm thinking of buying a 2nd hand 1 year old Modele Jazz Manouche guitar, (I believe its made in Korea) but I also have my eye on a friends handmade Petit Bouche Colins from Canada, though its slightly more used (but has character) and is about £200 more expensive, I think I would pay more for a better guitar.

As I can't try these guitars out as one is in another country and the other is at the other end of this country, does anyone have any thoughts on which I should go for? I'm currently tempted to go for the Colins as I reckon it would be a better guitar but need to make a decision soon.
ya-honza

Postby jackspoon » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:36 pm

Hi
I own a manouche modele jazz. I believe it to be a very faithfull copy of a selmer. It is a beautiful sounding guitar. It also is very loud.

However, the neck is a bit of a handful and it is not an easy guitar to play. In the right hands it sounds fantastic, in mine less so!

I also own a gitane d500 which is far easier to play (lower action, slimmer neck, thinner top) and therefore much more fun.

I cannot offer any opinion on the other guitar as I have never played one.

Hope this helps...
jackspoon

Postby BluesBopHarry » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:44 pm

How much are you spending? and where are you?
BluesBopHarry

Postby ya-honza » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:33 pm

I'm in the UK. Looking at spending around £450-650. Pretty sure I'll go for the Collins though as I'm guessing its the better guitar?
ya-honza

Postby justjack » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:28 am

Definitely go for the Collins. Manouche has gotten a lot of press online lately, but the Collins will almost certainly be better.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby BluesBopHarry » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:37 pm

yeah I agree, the Collins is probably better and it is a handmade instrument.
BluesBopHarry

Postby Ricardo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:43 pm

I have a Manouche and it is a great guitar. Mine sounds and plays very well and i've had no problems with it at all. You are taking a risk buying a guitar without playing it, but if the Colins is a good one then i'd go for the hand built any day.You could probably claw back your money on the Colins anyhow if it's not to your liking.
Ricardo

Postby Zoot » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:36 am

Go for the Collins it will very likely be a better guitar.
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Zoot
Site Admin

Return to Guitars picks and strings etc..