Buying abroad?

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Buying abroad?

Postby Swing 69 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:29 pm

I live in the UK and I'm considering a trip to Paris in the New Year, to try out some GJ guitars and hopefully buy. I've seen some good cheap flights. I wish to take across a guitar to hopefully use as part of a trade in, instead of selling privately on ebay etc. Does anyone have any experience with this or any advice on how to go about this.I can't speak any French and I've not been abroad since I was 13 or something like that, any ideas on avoiding paying tax (if you buy second hand abroad do you pay tax?), good cheap places to stay, how to get about Paris etc.
I wish to get up to guitare village, Oldies Guitars - 31, rue Victor Massé 75009 Paris, R&f charle etc. can anyone recommend any other good shops? I'll look up some of the luthiers based in Paris too and hopefully visit La Chope des Puces.
Cheers.
Swing 69

Postby Rene » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:50 pm

As you live in the EU, there'll be no import tax for bringing the guitar into the UK.

Oldies were alright when I dropped in for a Stimer.
Rene

Postby crookedpinky » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:19 pm

Hi Swin69, I was thinking of grabbing a cheap flight going to Le Chope Des Puces and the flea market but the timings would probably mean that I'd have to stay over.

Just one thing to bear in mind, if you fly with one of the cheaper airlines - like Queasyjet or Lyanair you might have to pay extra to transport the guitar.

Anyway, good luck have fun - have you seen Guitare Villages website. They are slightly outside Paris, in Domont but it might be do-able.

All the best for 2009
Alan
The Crookedpinky
crookedpinky

Postby mr moto » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:59 pm

RF, CHARLES is a must see , but as said above have a look at the guitare village shop as well here is the link ..http://www.guitare-village.com/neuf.php
life is what happens while you are busy making plans for the future
mr moto

Postby Swing 69 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:16 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR
As you live in the EU, there'll be no import tax for bringing the guitar into the UK

EXCELLENT !

have you seen Guitare Villages website

Yeah, it's a must i think.

if you fly with one of the cheaper airlines - like Queasyjet or Lyanair you might have to pay extra to transport the guitar

Ah nightmare, i take it you can't take it on the flight with you or do you pay for the privilege? I'll check it out if i decide to go.

I was involved in a car accident between xmas and new year there and my car is written off. I'm on holiday from the 5th Jan for 12 days and was planning on flying out prob with Lyanair, for a couple of days but not sure if this is going to happen now as i have a courtesy car for 2 weeks and with things up in the air at the moment my mind is kind of on other things.
(Like spending the insurance money on a shiny new Favino, Dupont or ALD........mmmm I think someone would have something to say about that! )
Thanks for the replies guys and I'll post when i bite the bullet and decide to go.
Cheers.
Swing 69

Postby justjack » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:07 am

Really--no one's going to make the joke? Fine:

"Buying abroad? You should try just buying her a drink first."

Now that that's out of the way...be sure to hit RF Charles'; even if you don't come away with anything, it's sure to be a great history lesson. I know there are a couple of fairly new spots for live music as well, though the names escape me right now--you might find them on some Paris-based bands' sites (Zaiti, etc). Enjoy the trip, and I hope you're on the mend.

best,
Jack.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby Gadjo » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:42 am

Hi
The last time I got my own guitar back from France it cost me £40 extra to a £19 ticket on Ryan air.
Personally with the GB pound at an all-time low with the Euro (now £1 = 1 Euro) I would buy at home. It is worth considering the French VAT rate on guitars is higher than the UK also.
I bought a Dupont in France years ago when the rate was 66p and don't regret a minute of it but would think again if I had to lay out another grand just because of the exchange rate.
As the other guys are saying it is generally worth a look - Particularly R F Charle's but note that as he is really a dentist he only opens the shop a few times a week.
There is a hidden gem away from the guitar street located where all the violin makers are (help anybody?) The place was a violin shop but when I was there we got talking about guitars and he pulled out three old DiMaurios he had for sale at the back of the shop. There was the odd guitar in the window so should be easy to find.
Gadjo

Postby Swing 69 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:32 pm

Gadjo, the exchange rate IS crippling just now and something I'm very aware of. It's a nightmare but in the current climate it's hard to predict what will happen with regards to the strength of the pound. I really can't see things getting better any time soon unfortunately.
I found ( http://www.gillansguitars.co.uk/4572/index.html ) this guy and he has some nice AJL's, priced (what seems) very reasonably too, he's not very far from me which is fantastic as I could play them before purchase but I believe this business may no longer be active which is extremely unfortunate as there are some gorgeous guitars on the site.
Swing 69

Postby deuxdoigtsgauches » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:55 am

Have recently had some experience with this. I flew to Geneva with Easyjet just before Christmas and I was worried about taking my guitar on the plane. I couldn't get through to anyone to ask on their customer line but I live not far from Bristol airport so I just drove there and asked the guys on the desk and they said it was fine to take on as hand luggage.

When I took the flight I had one bag with all my stuff in the hold and my guitar in a soft case as hand luggage (so you book it as '1 hold bag' when you buy the ticket which ads about £12 to the price of the ticket, unless you put everything in your guitar case). The overhead compartments were massive and you could fit a couple of guitars in side by side so I'm sure you could take it on as hand luggage in a hard case. I didn't have any trouble at all checking it in or anything in either direction. The next of old strings and 2 tins of spaghetti hoops in the middle of them I was taking over for a friend looked a bit agressive on the xray I thought, but no qustions asked.

If you're worried about getting it on the plane though,I'd recommend going to an airport nearby and asking the staff cos they'll tell you on the spot and you dont have to worry about it after that.
deuxdoigtsgauches

Return to Guitars picks and strings etc..