Wegen picks in UK again

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Wegen picks in UK again

Postby stublag » Thu May 21, 2009 11:35 am

My friends at http://www.djangosolos.com have told me that Wegens are now available for secure purchase
on this UK based site.
As far as i know no one else is bringing them in.
Stu
stublag

Postby Gadjo » Thu May 21, 2009 12:20 pm

My mate and guitar tech Ged Green seems to always have some for sale from his workshop near Manchester. He will post them out I am sure.

www.gedgreen.co.uk

He is a great tech and luthier BTW. He was technical director at AMEK for years so is the one guy I know who understands electronics as well as wood. He recently put a DTAR p/u into my nylon strung Gitane and it is brilliant!!!
Gadjo

Postby Ricardo » Thu May 21, 2009 8:38 pm

Rob Aylward is selling Argies at £7 per pack and also sells Wegens. Always good to have another outlet though -thanks.
Ricardo

Postby justjack » Thu May 21, 2009 8:48 pm

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here use the M350 Wegen? Same thickness as his standard gypsy jazz, but more triangular so all the sides are the same--no pointy end. Alain threw one in when he sent me a guitar; I promptly lost it and only just ran across it again. I'm liking it...

justjack
Mad For It

Postby Captain Swing » Thu May 21, 2009 9:29 pm

justjack wrote:Just out of curiosity, does anyone here use the M350 Wegen? Same thickness as his standard gypsy jazz, but more triangular so all the sides are the same--no pointy end. Alain threw one in when he sent me a guitar; I promptly lost it and only just ran across it again. I'm liking it...

My old ones look like that. I need a bit more point.
You could save yourself some bread, & just collect up everyones old ones. ;)
Captain Swing

Postby Caballero » Fri May 22, 2009 10:49 am

I've gone back to Tortoise shell, da tone gimme da bone 8)
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby Ricardo » Fri May 22, 2009 10:59 am

Do you have your own tortoise and just cut out a triangle when you need it?
Ricardo

Postby pinkgary » Fri May 22, 2009 12:09 pm

I'm with Cabo, it's got the sound straight away, & if you don't have a tortoise dungeon to collect your samples from (picture a damp window-less cellar, with cages hanging from the ceiling, just big enough for a tortoise in each one. Some have full shells, some have partial shells, but all have a red ball gag mask in their pitiful mouths) then i can recommend these guys:

http://www.tortispicks.co.uk/

I can't imagine going back to anything else.
Keep music Evil
pinkgary

Postby Caballero » Fri May 22, 2009 1:17 pm

I own a tortoise farm and they've all got sunroofs.
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby pinkgary » Fri May 22, 2009 3:29 pm

Are they free range, or in rusty cages?
Keep music Evil
pinkgary

Postby Caballero » Fri May 22, 2009 6:29 pm

Classic rusty cages with Morrisey cds being pumped 24hrs over a sound system so that they lose all hope of rescue. I styled it on that lovely hotel in Guantanamo Bay which the Americans seemed to have no problem in filling.
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby Captain Swing » Fri May 22, 2009 9:40 pm

You can't help but wonder when it comes down to it as far as plectrums go,- when you remember that Bireli uses a 'Big Stubby', you realize that none of it makes all that much difference in the long run.
If you've got a half decent Mac, the right strings, & a plectrum that doesn't give, then you're sorted really.
Captain Swing

Postby pinkgary » Fri May 22, 2009 10:35 pm

Indeed.

It is all good with a big stubby, wegen, dugain, or any manner of picks.

It sure doesn't make as much difference as practice, guitar or strings, but a difference it does make, and when it's as easy a difference to make as using a different pick, why not?
Keep music Evil
pinkgary

Postby Captain Swing » Sat May 23, 2009 12:47 am

pinkgary wrote:when it's as easy a difference to make as using a different pick, why not?

Well i'm not saying that anyone shouldn't be picky (punorama!) :wink: about what plectrums they use, just that the differences are comparitively small.
I've tried bone picks before but tone wasn't quite to my taste. Like the difference between Serge Krief & Stochelo. I like a bit of warmth & bass as well as the the cutting 'ping'. The Wegen Trimus 500, which is my favoured plectrum, seems to give give me that.
Although i think the thickness is arguably more important that the material, But i guess we all have our preferences. :)
Captain Swing

Postby BachelorNo2 » Sun May 24, 2009 1:16 am

there are wegens listed on ebay. a little too pricey for me. I like to superglue cheapy thin pleccies and use a file and wet and dry paper to do the bevels.
BachelorNo2

Next

Return to Guitars picks and strings etc..