Wegen picks in UK again

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Postby maca » Sun May 24, 2009 7:49 pm

Oh god, it's turning into one of THEM threads!
maca

Postby Captain Swing » Mon May 25, 2009 11:39 am

maca wrote:Oh god, it's turning into one of THEM threads!

You're right.

What's WRONG with me! :lol:
Captain Swing

Postby Teddy Dupont » Mon May 25, 2009 1:34 pm

It is very sad that the thread which has attracted the most interest this year is about bloody plectra. :cry: I expect most of you collect stamps and train numbers as well. :roll:

....And this is against the background that Spatzo has just found a brief clip of Django in "La Zone" in 1931. However, his previous finds attracted so little interest that I doubt he will post it and I certainly won't. :twisted:
Teddy Dupont

Postby stublag » Mon May 25, 2009 3:37 pm

Who needs a pick anyway? check this guy out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DjJzx8zGfw
stublag

Postby justjack » Mon May 25, 2009 3:39 pm

We just do it to mess with you. For what it's worth, I've really been digging all that footage from Spatzo--incredible stuff!! Love the Chope footage, too...
justjack
Mad For It

Postby Thrip » Mon May 25, 2009 4:22 pm

stublag wrote:Who needs a pick anyway? check this guy out

That was amazing! :shock: What a spectacularly good player. Thanks for posting.
Thrip

Postby Thrip » Mon May 25, 2009 4:34 pm

justjack wrote:We just do it to mess with you. For what it's worth, I've really been digging all that footage from Spatzo--incredible stuff!! Love the Chope footage, too...

Yes me too, there's no need to throw your toys out of your pram Teddy.

One of the things that killed this forum was people's intolerance to gear threads. Personally I can take them or leave most of them, but occasionally I find one that interests me. Guitarists as a breed are are gear obsessives and that's not going to change any time soon. Rejoice in the fact that we practice such an arcane branch of the art that to start to play takes some research!

Don't expect your new youtube channel to be showered with accolades either, people making comments are pretty few and far between. Nurture your altruistic side. :D

And by the way, after meant years of trying every expensive plectrum around, I am currently using Dunlop Tortex 1.14.

:D
Thrip

Postby Captain Swing » Mon May 25, 2009 4:35 pm

:shock: Jeez!

That's even better than Thrip's "Dad's Army". ;)

ETA: I don't even know Spatzo is!
Captain Swing

Postby Teddy Dupont » Mon May 25, 2009 7:01 pm

Thrip wrote:
Yes me too, there's no need to throw your toys out of your pram Teddy.
Too late! :evil:

Thrip wrote: One of the things that killed this forum was people's intolerance to gear threads.
Then let it die. Djangobooks does that in abundance. Although I love Cabo dearly, I believe one of the things that has killed this forum is the fact that almost everytime anyone writes anything, they tend to get the piss taken out of them. Leathery old gits like me don't give a monkeys but many of our more delicate members are somewhat more sensitive. In fact, I can remember you getting very tetchy because someone said something nasty (unjustifiably so) about one of your posts.

Thrip wrote:Personally I can take them or leave most of them....
You take them. I'll leave them.

To me this hardware obsession sucks the life out of the music. I can accept it is a part of the genre but not that it should dominate it or people's thinking about it.
Teddy Dupont

Postby Gadjo » Tue May 26, 2009 7:24 am

You are right of course Teddy - but, in reality it isn't quiet as black and white and that and this is why there is a musical instrument business. I have said here many times I had the best guitars I ever owned thirty years ago and have wasted huge amounts chasing fads and dreams over the years. Clearly the best guitar ever is the one you totally understand, plays in tune and feels (as Barney Kessel said about his ES-350) "like and old pair of slippers".

My regular visits to the New York guitar shows in the '90s as a Benedetto player taught me a lot about all this. It is no secret that all the pros playing the Benedetto shows (Bruno, Vignola et al) got theirs on a deal. Why? to entice the full wedge out of the doctors/dentists/lawyers who beleived that what they were hearing actually had something to do with the $20K guitar they were holding.

Tommy Tedesco famously said "keep one guitar but a big box of picks" as he claimed a different 20c plectrum could change his tone more so than a $2000 guitar swap. This gives some credence to the previous discussions but I still can't picture Django/Bireli asking a shop assistant "what are the other top guys buying?"

If you got your way Teddy we would all think like Django, Vignola, Bruno (Oberg?) and think only about the music, sound exactly the same on whatever we played (provided it cost nothing) but next time you went to buy some guitar strings the shop would be shut - as they actually needed to sell things to unsatisfied players who thought it did matter.

Off to Italy now. As you see I need a break.
Gadjo

Postby Caballero » Tue May 26, 2009 8:57 am

Teddy Dupont wrote: I love Cabo dearly.

uhhh, bender. :x
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby Teddy Dupont » Tue May 26, 2009 9:06 am

Gadjo,

I don't really disagree with any of that. It is the apparent total obsession with hardware on the forums that I think is so sad and so limiting. Reading Djangobooks is a bit like watching a patch of paint dry, repainting it and watching it dry again and again and again...... ad infinitum. Yet this is what you all appear to love. It is the one thing that sparks real enthusiasm and debate.

Gadjo wrote:
Tommy Tedesco famously said "keep one guitar but a big box of picks" as he claimed a different 20c plectrum could change his tone more so than a $2000 guitar swap.......

I think there is a great deal of truth in that. A different plectrum can have a far greater effect on the sound than strings. The importance of Argentine strings to tone is certainly greatly over-stated.
Teddy Dupont

Postby Teddy Dupont » Tue May 26, 2009 9:10 am

Caballero wrote:
Teddy Dupont wrote: I love Cabo dearly.

uhhh, bender. :x

:D Don't worry lovey. We theatrical people always talk like. :roll: Missing you already.
Teddy Dupont

Postby Caballero » Tue May 26, 2009 9:28 am

[quote="Teddy Dupont"

I believe one of the things that has killed this forum is the fact that almost everytime anyone writes anything, they tend to get the piss taken out of them. [/quote]

Oh I think that's a little O.T.T, there's been tons of stuff posted with no piss taking whatsoever. It's generally the Brits ragging each other, I personally think this adds to an informal, good-humoured approach to this weird out-post of jazz. When someone pops up like Mr Payne, YOU'RE one of the first to put the boot in (justifiably so). I can't think in one instance when a newbie's posted and someone's been nasty. I got a rollicking for my flippant remark regarding Walt Becker, but so what??? I browse Mikeys forum occasionally but get put off from joining because everyone seems a tad serious. This forum is more relaxed with interesting things cropping up from time to time, I like it. And, I must say, this thread regarding plectra has kept me coming back for more!
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby Caballero » Tue May 26, 2009 9:45 am

Teddy Dupont wrote:
I don't really disagree with any of that. It is the apparent total obsession with hardware on the forums that I think is so sad and so limiting. Reading Djangobooks is a bit like watching a patch of paint dry, repainting it and watching it dry again and again and again...... ad infinitum. Yet this is what you all appear to love. It is the one thing that sparks real enthusiasm and debate.

Well lets's face it, this really doesn't differ from any other guitar style, you get your 'gearheads' in everything. YOU and most of us get a buzz from all the history/legends/tales side of it all, but I remember in the early days, being fascinated by all the conflicting 'hardware' stories I heard, 15 yrs down the road, been there done that, but many are just getting their heads round it all.
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

PreviousNext

Return to Guitars picks and strings etc..