Which guitar to avoid ?

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Which guitar to avoid ?

Postby keithdjango » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:47 pm

I'm looking for a budget Selma type guitar, I've seen Cordoba, student Gitane Saga models etc + also saw that great German player Joc...(s?) playing a Gitane student model on youtube.' please offer suggestions. thanks
keithdjango

Postby crookedpinky » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:18 am

Hi there, I'd say avoid Richwoods, SX/Stagg/Jim Deacon - all the same model just badged differently. Some people dislike the budget Arias -I think they're alright for the money but not great. I bought a D Hole Aria for £90 from ebay - cheap from the Aria shop as it was classed as a second due to a slightly sunken top. It's brash loud and great for rhythm.

The Oval and D hole Ciganos are great value for money but they've gone up in price and you can now get a Dell Arte Pigalle or maybe a 2nd hand Gitane DG250/255 for about the same price.

That's about it for now, if anything else comes to mind I'll re-post
The Crookedpinky
crookedpinky

Postby keithdjango » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:08 pm

Thanks for the tips - I'm trying to sell my Taylor (DN3) so I'll have the $'s to get a decent Selma type guitar.
keithdjango

Postby BluesBopHarry » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:47 am

The Cigano is the best of the budget options, by far.
The one I tried, an oval hole, was better than any 200 series Gitane and pretty much on a par with the 300 Jorgenson model, but the later has a better (thicker) neck, 3x more expensive though.
Djangobooks.com has them for $330 US, should be around $600 with case and shipping outside USA.
BluesBopHarry

Return to Guitars picks and strings etc..