Mozaic 6 CD HMV vs. Integrale 20 volumes

Discussion on Django and his contemporaries

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Mozaic 6 CD HMV vs. Integrale 20 volumes

Postby stringring » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:54 am

I wanted to ask about the quality of the recordings.
I have some Django tunes with realy poor sound quality, non-remastered.

I`ve heard that the HMV 6 CDs are digitally remastered :shock: cool!
How does it sound?
Are the 20 volumes of the Integrale as well remastered?
Each volume in the same way? (I realise that is quite impossible, because at the time they recorded him with a technology that was improving, thus constanty changing) but i mean did they "roughly" treat the tracks the same way inbetween volumes?
And how is the HMV quality in comparison to the Integrale?

Thanx
stringring

Postby nwilkins » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:54 am

the HMV ones are much better in terms of sound quality than the Integrale, but the Integrale is complete - the hardcore fans probably have them both.
nwilkins

Postby blindbluesandjazz » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:49 pm

Although they aren't as complete as the integrale sets, JSP has three box sets (13 CD's) that have great remastered sound by Ted Kendall. If you add to that the four-CD set on Definitive called Django And His American Friends, and the two-CD set on Verve, Peche a La Mouche, then you pretty much have everything, and with great sound.
Colin Perry
www.colinperry.ca
blindbluesandjazz

Postby radiotone » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:24 pm

JSP and Mosiac are both great lables, and I know Ted Kendall did the best possible job he could on the JSP remastering. The Mosaic set has better sound--on the 1936-37 sides, I think noticably better sound.

JSP can't be beat for value, of course, and the liner notes are informative and occasionally witty.

Mosaic's booklet is deluxe, IMHO, with a long essay by Mike Peters, and of course some wonderful photos printed on the large-format paper. It's a good bit more expensive, but I'm not sure a better issue exists for the material covered. I broke down and got it even though I owned the JSP, and I'm not sorry (and I'm not wealthy, as far as that goes!)

Good hunting,

Neil
radiotone

:)))))

Postby stringring » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:51 am

Thank You
stringring

Re:

Postby danielo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:35 pm

radiotone wrote:JSP and Mosiac are both great lables, and I know Ted Kendall did the best possible job he could on the JSP remastering. The Mosaic set has better sound--on the 1936-37 sides, I think noticably better sound.

JSP can't be beat for value, of course, and the liner notes are informative and occasionally witty.

Mosaic's booklet is deluxe, IMHO, with a long essay by Mike Peters, and of course some wonderful photos printed on the large format paper. It's a good bit more expensive, but I'm not sure a better issue exists for the material covered. I broke down and got it even though I owned the JSP, and I'm not sorry (and I'm not wealthy, as far as that goes!)

Good hunting,

Neil

I couldn't agree more.
danielo

Return to Django