Django in Devon

Discussion on Django and his contemporaries

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Django in Devon

Postby Ricardo » Sun May 17, 2009 9:43 pm

I had a jam with a guy yesterday who used to know and play with Diz Disley and Etheridge back in the old days - sadly Diz is very unwell apparently - He was telling me an anecdote which Diz recounted, which came from Stephane. Apparently Stephane had a cottage in Devon at one time and Django went to stay there. On a walk in the country Django spotted a chicken in a nearby farm entrance and proceeded to grab it, break it's neck and then stuff it under his arm to take home for supper. I wonder if there is any creedance to this tale..... Teddy?
Ricardo

Postby Teddy Dupont » Sun May 17, 2009 10:13 pm

It's a story that Steph has told several times so I think the basis of it is almost certainly true. Catching a chicken in this way would have been totally natural to Django.
Teddy Dupont

Postby Ricardo » Mon May 18, 2009 9:26 am

Do you know where this cottage was in Devon?
Ricardo

Postby Teddy Dupont » Mon May 18, 2009 10:08 am

Ricardo wrote:Do you know where this cottage was in Devon?

Lustleigh, Newton Abbot. His cottage was called "Underwood". He first went to Devon in 1941 to recuperate from his kidney problems.
Teddy Dupont

Re: Django in Devon

Postby Harry-Dippo » Tue May 31, 2011 7:38 pm

I just happened to be browsing this forum when I came across this thread.

I couldn't believe it, Grapelli's old house is a mere walking distance from mine! What a weird coincidence
I would have never have thought it and as a keen player and Django lover its really interesting
Thanks for sharing this gem of information, I may well have to visit the people that live there to find out if they know any more
Happy gypsy jazz playing to all!
Harry
Harry-Dippo

Return to Django