Three Django masterpieces

Discussion on Django and his contemporaries

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Three Django masterpieces

Postby stublag » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:42 pm

Believe it or not until a few days ago i was unware you could film yourself on Youtube (we are talking about a serious technophobe here!) -so with apologies for the lo-fi sound etc here is 'yours truly' going through "Bouncin' Around","Embraceable You" and "Twelfth Year".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1S34wax1l4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrbsbnP_718

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otl3Ag0vLKQ

I've got a nice camcorder on order so quality will be better by next week i promise!
My idea is to film say 20 classic Django solos and take them apart one by one-- with an emphasis on good time,phrasing and proper Django right hand technique.
Let me make it clear I'm not endorsing learning Djangos solos 'parrot fashion'--but its amazing what a good affect it can have on your own playing if you internalise them and use them as a basis to launch your own improvisations.
In a Downbeat interview circa 1985 Bireli was interviewed(along with the then 'in fashion' Stanley Jordan i seem to remember)and stated that he learned 200 Django solos note for note by heart.
Its the way Bireli, Stochelo and all the Gypsies learnt...whats good enough for them...
stublag

Re: Three Django masterpieces

Postby Thrip » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:44 pm

Excellent idea Stu!
Thrip

Postby deuxdoigtsgauches » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:54 am

Cheers that'll be really helpful.
deuxdoigtsgauches

Postby Gypsyjazzer » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:54 pm

Good idea Stu,

Excellent playing on the videos, well done.

Mandino Reinhardt did a similar thing with his DVD from a few years back; "la Guitare Manouche Vol.1 Le solo de MINOR SWING (1937)", where he dissected Django's solo and taught it in the way such solos are passed from one player to another in the gypsy community. Have you seen it?

Stu
Gypsyjazzer

Postby stublag » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:25 am

Gypsyjazzer wrote:Good idea Stu,

Excellent playing on the videos, well done.

Mandino Reinhardt did a similar thing with his DVD from a few years back; "la Guitare Manouche Vol.1 Le solo de MINOR SWING (1937)", where he dissected Django's solo and taught it in the way such solos are passed from one player to another in the gypsy community. Have you seen it?

Stu

Thanks for the kind words--yes Mandino did a lovely job on that Minor Swing video--and once i get my shiny new cam i'll be going through some of my favourite Django solos-not necessarily the most obvious choices-as much to learn more from the master myself as well as hopefully help a few newcomers to play the mans amazing music as well.
Stu
stublag

Postby delboy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:54 am

Nice playing, Stu. I look forward to seeing more :D Based on what Birili said I think I need to up my quota of the number of Django solos I know... by about 198! :oops:

Kind regards,
Derek
delboy

Postby stublag » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:28 pm

delboy wrote:Nice playing, Stu. I look forward to seeing more :D Based on what Birili said I think I need to up my quota of the number of Django solos I know... by about 198! :oops:

Kind regards,
Derek

Thanks Derek
I reckon i've gotten about 80 down :-)...but of course its only useful if it helps your own playing which i think it does but don't be seduced by the melodic at the expense of the rhythmic--the most difficult thing is not the notes with Django its the rhythmic phrasing- every single note hits its target;Philip Catherine said it was 'like an arrow hitting bullseye everytime':-)
Stu
stublag

Return to Django