Django Photos - Samois 1953 Last photos ever taken of Django

Discussion on Django and his contemporaries

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Django Photos - Samois 1953 Last photos ever taken of Django

Postby Richieboy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:59 am

Hello! These are all the photos I have of Django Reinhardt in his kitchen in Samois in 1953. Teddy Dupont has background on these photos.

Rarely any photos anymore on this board, so here's my contribution.

There was a discussion on the forums in 2003 whether all the photos were taken with colour film. The post is still on the forums for anyone to read.
Personally, i have ever only seen three colour photos of Django Reinhardt. All taken at this time and place.

This is the original version of this very oft-seen photo. The other version is an edited "doctored" version that has the flowers behind django removed, as Teddy Dupont stated.

What surprised me is that this year, at the concert celebrating Django and the whole thing about naming a street in Paris after him, the background of the stage used a massive version of this photo. The doctored one! They probably just pulled it off the web and re-sized it. Surprising, considering all the originals are most likely located somewhere in France. There are videos on Youtube of this event on the news, and the concert itself.

As a comparison, here is the other, edited photo.

Next up: This uncommon photo shows django looking directly into the camera. You can really see the reflection of the man's beautiful soul in his dark eyes.

A happy Django posing and smiling for the camera.

Very suave looking Django, last colour photo.

The Stimer ad photo.

This photo here was most likely taken at the same time. (Note scarf and hair.) But i'm unsure because Django isn't wearing his watch as he is on the other photos. It might have slipped under his sleeve.

Different scans of a distracted Django.

Common edited photo of Django along with the original.

Another smiling Django.

And the last scans. Is the colour one edited or real?

Lastly, a bad scan compilation of photos of Django taken in 1953.

Thanks. :mrgreen: Give credit if using, eh? Not only to me. :wink:
Last edited by Richieboy on Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richieboy

Re: Django Photos - Samois 1953 Last photos ever taken of Dj

Postby Teddy Dupont » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:34 am

The one of Django squeezing his nose was taken much earlier in 1943 and the final compilation has five shots from Club St Germain des Pres, 1951.

The real colour and the black & white Samois photos from 1953 were taken at different sessions as Django is wearing a different jacket and scarf. I am only aware of three colour photos of Django ever being taken.
Teddy Dupont

Re: Django Photos - Samois 1953 Last photos ever taken of Dj

Postby penelope » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:01 pm

Thanks for the pictures. Many guitar players, and musicians, have expressed admiration for Django Reinhardt, or have cited him as a major influence. Apart from that, people describe him as the most astonishing guitar player ever.
penelope

Return to Django