diminished subs

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

justjack
Mad For It

diminished subs

Post by justjack »

I'm sure most of you know this already, but I thought I'd add it here-seemed better than the Rookies section. I've been messing around with using diminished subs for seventh chords lately, and if you've got a couple of bars of a seven chord, using some subs can add a lot of welcome movement. To wit, All of Me:

C | C |E7 | E7 | A7 | A7 | Dm |Dm |

try:

C | C |E7 | E7 | A7 |Edim C#dim | Dm6/B |Dm6/B |

Again, a simple thing, but hopefully it'll help someone. Plenty of other bits to mess around with there, too.

Up too late,
Jack.
pallopenna

Post by pallopenna »

Another way to think about this is that you can use the dim7 built on the 3rd, 5th, 7th, or b9 (C#dim, Edim, Gdim, or Bbdim, in Jack's example) of the chord you're substituting for (A7). Since all of those subs are enharmonic variants of each other, it's a question of voice leading and context. Usually (although not always) you would use this substitution when resolving down a 5th from the original chord (Dm).
-Paul Allopenna

If stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out of it?
JoeyD'Amato

Post by JoeyD'Amato »

....or you can just ask the bass player sitting next to you. :D
boomchickboomchick
boomchickboomchick
boomchickboomchick
djangology

Post by djangology »

i think a good place to start is with the song Swing Gitan. when you get to the A7, try subsitution a Dbdim,Edim, or Gdim (as told above by pallopenna). you can create cool chord lines with this method.
justjack
Mad For It

Post by justjack »

djangology wrote:i think a good place to start is with the song Swing Gitan. when you get to the A7, try subsitution a Dbdim,Edim, or Gdim (as told above by pallopenna). you can create cool chord lines with this method.
Agreed-I actually play that exact line, using all four chords, now and then (two beats each, two bars), then descend back to the Gm via D7, Cm6, Gm/Bb, D7/A. Not every time-my soloists would shoot me-but it's fun to throw in now and again.

Best,
Jack.
Mike V

Post by Mike V »

Another good "trick" (actually it's good voice leading) is playing diminished lines over a series of dominant chords that decend in fifths (like the I Got Rhythm bridge or Sweet Georgia Brown). As the dominant chords decend in fifths, the diminished arpeggios decend chromatically.
justjack
Mad For It

Post by justjack »

Mike V wrote:Another good "trick" (actually it's good voice leading) is playing diminished lines over a series of dominant chords that decend in fifths (like the I Got Rhythm bridge or Sweet Georgia Brown). As the dominant chords decend in fifths, the diminished arpeggios decend chromatically.
A classic-one of the 'good suits' of gypsy jazz.

Best,
Jack.
djangology

Post by djangology »

Another good "trick" (actually it's good voice leading) is playing diminished lines over a series of dominant chords that decend in fifths (like the I Got Rhythm bridge or Sweet Georgia Brown). As the dominant chords decend in fifths, the diminished arpeggios decend chromatically.
The perfect song for this is the "B" part of Fiso Place...