playing musette

Submissions for tune chords and licks

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

playing musette

Postby justjack » Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:00 am

Hi, all. I'm hoping someone out there plays musette-I've been listening to the Essential Masters Musette CD (Vacher, Viseur, Murena, Ferrero, etc.) and am wondering if anyone's got any hot tips for guitar comping (especially if you're sans accordion). Thanks as always, Jack.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby djangology » Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:33 pm

i think to start with playing Montagne Ste.Genevieve. by the way, there is a KILLER version of this tune mixed heavily with Accordion AND guitar and its by an accordionist named Michel Macias who plays with a French guitar player named Vincent Macias. I hadn't heard of the guitar player before, but he is great on this tune. The important thing is that his version of the song will give you lots of ideas on how to play along with an accordion. :-)
djangology

Postby Jan Primus » Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:00 pm

Go to THE Puget Sound Guitar Workshop winter retreat and you can play with Kory. I dont know that he knows any musette pieces, but he can certainly learn them if I know him.
Jan Primus

Postby djangology » Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:11 pm

ah... thats an interesting tip... i'll think about going... not for only that reason of course... but i always hear positive things about that retreat...
djangology

Postby nwilkins » Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:58 pm

I'm sure Scot Wise can help you out here :)
As for people to listen to, there are lots of diff ways to play/accompany waltzes - for the pure Musette style listen to Didi Duprat (he plays on many tracks of the "Paris Musette" series of CDs). In a more gypsy context, it seems to me that there is less emphasis on voice movement within the accompanying chords - listen to the German guys like Hans'che and you'll see what I mean.
nwilkins

Postby justjack » Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:50 am

nwilkins wrote:
"listen to the German guys like Hans'che and you'll see what I mean."

I'm on it...thanks. Anyone know of 'classic' musette without accordion, or is that sacrilege?
justjack
Mad For It

Postby nwilkins » Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:48 pm

go to this site:

www.musetteguitars.com

and order their CD - this is Scot's band and it is a great CD - musette without accordion :)
nwilkins

Postby Scot » Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:38 pm

Well, thanks, Nick! I still have a few of the CDs left, and if there is interest, I might have another batch printed up and offer a little book with chord charts and some text regarding my method for chording as an option. Playing valses is fun and challenging - it takes a formidable right hand to play the melodies, especially the B sections of Privat's tunes. The harmonies are sophisticated enough to allow some adventurism, too.

Jack, feel free to email me if you like, I'll be happy to go over this in more detail. CDs are still $12 or 15,50 euro includes postage.

Best, Scot
Scot

Postby djangology » Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:13 pm

Scot, if your going to do a booklet with charts and your CD, i would be interested. i want to expand beyond just merely Montagne Ste. Genevieve... i get the impression your from the Northwest... is that true?
djangology

Postby nwilkins » Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:10 pm

Since Scot's location (right under his name) is "south", I think it would be a safer bet to assume he is from the South :wink: Of course all you have to do is go to the homepage www.musetteguitars.com to find out.
nwilkins

Postby Cuimean » Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:17 pm

The website for a San Francisco band called The Baguette Quartet might have some info for you. Take a look at the discography and bibliography in the "What We Do" section. http://www.baguettequartette.org/

If you haven't already, try checking out Romane's "Impair & Valse" album. It's a collection of musette pieces, with a few nice bonuses: the bass and rhythm guitar tracks for the entire album are presented for those who wish to practice the leads (or analyze the rhythm playing) and a CD-ROM portion of the disc includes printable sheet music with tablature.
Cuimean

Postby djangology » Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:48 pm

i couldn't find the info on Scot's page that says where the band lives... and i thought i had heard his name mentioned around here in the northwest a few times before and so I "assumed" he was from up here despite the fact that it said south. some of us on this HotClub forum say that they are from the strangest places and so I don't usually take that seriously...
djangology

Postby Scot » Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:24 am

Pacific NW? No, I'm in Charlotte NC. I am planning to come out to Seattle for the Djangofest in October, though.

I like the Baguette 4tet too, though they are more eclectic and have a lot of songs and stuff on their CDs. "Impair et Valse" is also good. The playing and arrangements are solid (we played around with several of them on our CD) BUT, the phrasing and rhythm are jazzy and IMO it would be a stretch to call this musette playing. I think that Romane was aiming more for something like Baro Ferret's style. In fact he quotes Baro liberally on some of the tunes - no easy thing! The rhythmic aspect of Romane's CD does not have much of the dance-hall feel, by design I'm certain. But on our recording, that "bal-musette" feel was exactly the aim, so it really does not sound much like Romane's CD.

Jon, I'll get up with you off-forum to discuss the CD and booklet. I'll be sure to send you one too, Nick.

Best
Scot
Scot

Postby nwilkins » Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:03 pm

nwilkins

Postby djangology » Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:44 pm

That would be great! :wink:
djangology

Next

Return to Tunes