Band in the box question

Submissions for tune chords and licks

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Band in the box question

Postby Chip Gulbro » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:48 am

I have just downloaded Band in the Box version 11. I love this software except for one thing-the sound quality . It's all electronic and cheap sounding. I was wondering if this is an inherent quaility of all Band in the Box software or is it my sound card?

Much obliged in Alabama,
CHipolo
Chip Gulbro

Postby justjack » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:10 am

Hi Chip,

I have no idea, but thought you might find this interesting too:
http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1966

Best,
Jack.
P.S. Maybe there's a BiaB help file included that has recommended sound cards?
justjack
Mad For It

Postby Massif Central » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:02 pm

A better soundcard will get better sounds, but either way it's still software. You could always connect to a more convincing outboard MIDI interface.

I couldn't be bothered to do either personally as I didn't think the expense was worth it just for practice. These days I only use the "bass and brushes" or "Bill Evans left hand" for outlining the changes. Unfortunately, the Django setting is abysmal and would probably remain so even with a swanky sound card.

There's a Yahoo BIAB group who are very helpful and answer questions: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Band-in-a-Box/

Cheers,
Andy

I'm editing now because I thought I sounded a bit negative when I souldn't -- it's the best practice tool I've ever used, and use it practically daily. Just a little too familiar perhaps. Anyway, overdeveloped sense of fair play assuaged. Bye!
Massif Central

Postby Dennis » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:00 am

Band in a Box doesn't make any actual sound itself - it sends instructions to your sound card which then produces the sounds. So, poor sound card equals poor sounds. Sound cards are very often one of the areas computer manufacturers 'economise' on to keep their costs down.

Band in a Box themselves recommend the use of the Roland VSC3 software synth for playback. The VSC3 bypasses your soundcard and produces really high quality sounds. Its comes free when you order the lastest version (version 11 is well out of date now).

Band in a Box is easily the best piece of kit I've ever bought in terms of improving my playing, timing, improvising etc. etc. etc... It can produce backing CDs and you can use it a a live backing band (laptop straight into the PA).

I don't work for band in a Box, by the way!!!!

All the best,

Den
Dennis

Postby phil_g » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:11 pm

Try playing to the double bass on it's own & kill all the other instruments!
phil_g

Return to Tunes