What Are Your Favorite Beatle Songs For Gypsy Jazz Guitar?

Submissions for tune chords and licks

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

What Are Your Favorite Beatle Songs For Gypsy Jazz Guitar?

Postby Elliot » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:13 pm

I know, why try and be creative when you can Django-wank to your heart's content and come off sounding like a genius? :shock:

But hey, just on the hunch there might be a few out there who may have considered the possibility and come up with an actual idea or two, just for fun what Beatle songs (or tunes by ex-Beatles) do you think might make a nifty conversion to Gypsy Jazz...and why?

Here's a few I found that might possibly make it to start this off...

Instant Karma - beat converts easily to 4 on the floor format
Bolero Pile:
You're Gonna Lose That Girl - 7ths, m7ths good to go,
Till There Was You - 7ths, 7+5, 7+9
And I Love Her
Elliot

Postby justjack » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:56 pm

Actually, Robin Nolan does a nice version of And I Love Her, I think as a bossa or a bolero, I can't recall which. Our lead player has been after me to arrange Blackbird for awhile, but I steadfastly refuse. I do think Something can work surprisingly well, but I'm usually repulsed by jazz covers of Beatles tunes (or the equally bad classical treatments heard on public radio around here).

But to answer your first question, I don't think being creative and "Django-wanking" are mutually exclusive...arguably, it takes more creativity to improvise a few choruses than it would to adapt another tune to the style.

Best,
Jack.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby Elliot » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:24 pm

justjack wrote:But to answer your first question, I don't think being creative and "Django-wanking" are mutually exclusive...arguably, it takes more creativity to improvise a few choruses than it would to adapt another tune to the style.

Agreed...actually, I wouldn't consider improvisation wanking by any means, but I think you're really doing something if you can take a tune, make it Gypsy style...and then improvise on it. Isn't this what Django did? Anyhoo...

Anybody else with ideas?
Elliot

Postby Cuimean » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:06 am

"Till There Was You" was in 3/4 in The Music Man; you could always try a musette-style arrangement.
Cuimean

Postby justjack » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:09 pm

Elliot wrote:
justjack wrote:But to answer your first question, I don't think being creative and "Django-wanking" are mutually exclusive...arguably, it takes more creativity to improvise a few choruses than it would to adapt another tune to the style.

Agreed...actually, I wouldn't consider improvisation wanking by any means, but I think you're really doing something if you can take a tune, make it Gypsy style...and then improvise on it. Isn't this what Django did? Anyhoo...

Ah...I thought you meant just running straight through the Beatles tune...
justjack
Mad For It

Postby Ganondorf » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:36 pm

Right then guys,which song are we gonna murder next then? :shock: [/quote]
Ganondorf

Postby Elliot » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:27 pm

Ganondorf wrote:Right then guys,which song are we gonna murder next then? :shock:

How about some Ellington, Armstrong, maybe some musette songs?...Oh, wait a second.... :wink:
Elliot

Re: What Are Your Favorite Beatle Songs For Gypsy Jazz Guita

Postby pmh425 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:58 pm

Elliot wrote:I know, why try and be creative when you can Django-wank to your heart's content and come off sounding like a genius? :shock:

But hey, just on the hunch there might be a few out there who may have considered the possibility and come up with an actual idea or two, just for fun what Beatle songs (or tunes by ex-Beatles) do you think might make a nifty conversion to Gypsy Jazz...and why?

Here's a few I found that might possibly make it to start this off...

Instant Karma - beat converts easily to 4 on the floor format
Bolero Pile:
You're Gonna Lose That Girl - 7ths, m7ths good to go,
Till There Was You - 7ths, 7+5, 7+9
And I Love Her

I always thought Honey Pie (not Sweet Honey Pie) would be a good choice.
pmh425

Return to Tunes