Tchavalo Swing

Submissions for tune chords and licks

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Tchavalo Swing

Postby Chip Gulbro » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:05 am

Does anyone have a voicings chart for this one- also Bossa Dorado?

Thanks .
Chip Gulbro

Postby justjack » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:32 am

Do you need just the chord names or the actual voicings and fingerings? Here are the chords, anyway. I'm assuming the Tchavolo Swing you want is the tune from Latcho Drom, if it's the other Tchavolo Swing (from the Gypsy Reunion album) you can get the chords here.

Tchavolo Swing aka Latcho Drom
Bossa Dorado
You can also find a Bossa Dorado rhythm track to practice with here.
And a tabledit of Bossa Dorado can be found here.

Some decent voicings can be found here.
Finally, some standard notation charts:
Bossa Dorado
Tchavolo Swing aka Latcho Drom

Hope that helps,
Jack.
justjack
Mad For It

Voicings

Postby Chip Gulbro » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:32 pm

Thanks Jack. I can use that lead chart to T. Swing. What I am really trying to do is make it easier for the guitarists in my band to pick up new tunes. I was trying to find charts like those found in NOlans GIG BOOK, with fingerings et al. It doesnt have Bossa Dorado and T. Swing.

Thanks for your quick reply. www.hotclubofhuntsville.com
Chip Gulbro

Postby justjack » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:29 pm

Hi Chip,

Bossa Dorado is in my copy of the Gig Book-you might want to double check yours. Tchavolo Swing is in vol 2 of the individual books:

It's listed there as Latcho Drom...

Best,
Jack.
justjack
Mad For It

right you are

Postby Chip Gulbro » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:16 am

Thanks Jack, I found Bossa. And the lead sheet worked too.
Chip Gulbro

Latcho Drom by '5 Go Swing'

Postby GitanePlayer » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:14 am

Hey everyone,

here's us doing Latcho Drom... borrows very heavily from the version in the film 'Latcho Drom', although I did have an attempt at making up the second half of the solo! I think the violin is virtually identical.

For anyone who's interested - the guitar solo is played on a Manouche Guitars Modele Jazz!, and was recorded in my living room using a Korg D1600 digital multitracker.

Mike.
Attachments

LatchoDrom.mp3 [ 4.24 MiB | Viewed 16127 times ]

Last edited by GitanePlayer on Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
GitanePlayer

Postby nuages » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:28 am

Very nice!

By the way, what mics did you use to record with and how did you have them placed?

I'm looking for ideas on how to get the best sound.

Thanks
nuages

Postby GitanePlayer » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:01 pm

Hi Nuages,

after many hours of reading up on this sort of thing I did the following:

Guitars.
---------

Mic'd with RODE NT3 Condenser mics. I found that the best sound for my guitar was pointing directly at the sound hole but just underneath, angled slightly upwards, about 8 inches away.

For my partner in crime, with a Favino, I pretty much did the same.

Some sites advise to mic up near the bridge or near the neck/body join, but I found these unsatisfactory. If I had the mics spare I would have placed a second mic towards the fretboard.

Bass
------
RODE NT3 pointing at mid to upper end of fingerboard to capture the higher end 'slap' - about 12 inches away. SAMSON C03 Large diapraghm condenser between the bridge and tailpiece, about 8-12 inches away.

Violin.
-------
SHURE 16L Condenser mic high up pointing down towards the violin. I would have used another RODE NT3 if we had one - the SHURE is the only other mic I have.

Applied some Reverb, tiny bit of EQ and a stereo limiter at the end stage. I also had to apply compression to the rhythm guitar (Favino) to keep a driving constant level - I think it's down to the guitar not being as loud as my Manouche and the other guitarist's less aggressive style than mine. My guitar is not compressed. I also applied some compression the double bass - bass end mic, which gave a more satisfactory level and smoothed out drops in volume.

Finally, I ran the whole wav file through a vintage tube mastering suite - but I'm still playing with this! I intend to remix the whole track anyway - some tiny level adjustments.

I can highly recommend the RODE NT3 and the SAMSON... budget mics - with a big sound!

Watch out for spill into the other mics - we did have to re-record the bass on it's own because my living room is not large enough to get better separation.

I wanted to be a sound engineer many moons ago - I love it! Instead I'm sat here all day in work programming bloody computers - gah!!
GitanePlayer

Postby nuages » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:54 pm

Thanks for the info. I have a couple of MXL Condenser mics so I've got that part covered anyway. However they do require phantom power and I will need to purchase an adaptor. I've been using a Shure SM58 but I believe the Condenser mics sound much better.

Again, I appreciate the tips on where to place the mics. Should save me alot of trial and error.

Keep up the good work, your group sounds great!
nuages

Return to Tunes