John Martyn

A reminder of those that have gone on before us.

Moderators: Caballero, Zoot

John Martyn

Postby Thrip » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:33 pm

One of my first influences on guitar. :cry:

http://www.johnmartyn.com/
Thrip

Re: John Martyn

Postby Teddy Dupont » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:28 pm

Thrip wrote:One of my first influences on guitar. :cry:

http://www.johnmartyn.com/

Is that when you looked like this?
Attachments
Thrip Smoking a 'Woodbine'.jpg
Teddy Dupont

Postby Thrip » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:06 pm

Yes.
Thrip

Postby Caballero » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:08 pm

That's sad. He was a real talent, super player. I used to shag an old girlfriend to 'One World' around the same time Thrip was sat in a field of daisys strumming 'Hey Joe'. Great live, J.M, even better when he had legs. God, could he drink.
Thrip's good live, could do with more theatrics though.
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby maca » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:12 pm

Terrible news, I met him a few years back in a pub in Liverpool.I was playing across the street and he wanted to come for a pint with us but his people wouldn't allow it 'cause he had had a few too many already. RIP
maca

Postby frater » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:21 am

Had a similar experience in Italy many years ago. Martyn did a fantastic gig but was really, really drunk (very strangely though you could notice that only between a song and the other... while singing and playing he was in total control). His entourage had him quit as soon as possible and took him away to the cars... but a friend of mine had a pile of old LPs he wanted Martyn to autograph, so we chased them. Well, when John saw us, even if his people were trying to push him away, he reached us and signed all the LPs smiling. I remember he wrote "Blessings" on the last one before they manged to push him in the car. He was a sweet soul, a master both on the acoustic and the electric (how rare!), a sublime singer and a poet. Is there anybody out there who will fill his shoes now?
I strongly doubt it.
"Et pas besoin d'avoir de fines moustaches pour jouer cette musique!" B. Lagréne
frater

Postby Jono » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:01 pm

Yep, very sad.

I saw Richard Thompson doing his 1000 Years of Popular Music tour in Brum last night and someone shouted for a John Martyn song. RT said that they'd not had chance to work one up, but were hoping to have something ready for the following night.
They may be drinkers, Robin, but they're still human beings.
Jono

Return to In Memoriam