Wegen picks in UK again

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Postby justjack » Tue May 26, 2009 5:06 pm

I think what's happened with the two forums is that a lot of newer players naturally migrate to Djangobooks because that's where they bought their five-foot stack of books, and they have a lot of questions about p.23 or whatever. Then they stick around.

So largely now I find that Michael's spot caters more toward the music student side of things, while this one caters more toward the music lover/historian group. I'm a bit of both, and while I find I'm able to contribute more at Djangobooks, I love reading TD's crazy history posts/quizzes/arcana. If HE goes away, THEN the forum would really die. (By the way, the comment I made about all the piss-taking came mostly out of conversations with students; often confused by British Humour, they were scared away from posting, and fled to the more sedate confines of its American cousin.)

best,
Jack.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby Caballero » Tue May 26, 2009 8:35 pm

justjack wrote: I love reading TD's crazy history posts/quizzes/arcana. If HE goes away, THEN the forum would really die.

:roll: Really? Let's put that to the test, I'm going to put a fatwah out on Teddy, once he's got rid of, I'm SURE there'll new posts. Just think, plectrum discussions without ridicule, a place where players into shreddy gypsyjazz don't get slagged just because they like shreddy gypsyjazz and not just Django etc. :)
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby pinkgary » Wed May 27, 2009 12:44 am

I dunno, Teddy is definitely the patriarch of this forum. When he frowns, we all feel shame.. :oops:

And is indeed the only person spontaneously posting new conversations/points/archive footage.. i.e. anything new & relevant.
Keep music Evil
pinkgary

Postby Caballero » Wed May 27, 2009 8:47 am

:evil: Cab feels no shame...only...... :twisted: ..pleasure...

Anyways, I'm bringing Lulu to the friggin' table, I'd like to see Teddy bring Django.
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby Ricardo » Wed May 27, 2009 9:19 am

[quote="justjack"] If HE goes away, THEN the forum would really die.

This is very true. However I feel that equal recognition should be given to Cabo. He may be Bobby Ball to Teds Tommy Cannon, but he is certainly an oracle for the serious student when you can finally get him on subject. And yes, i'll be seeing Lulu Reinhardt this summer thanks to him. :D
Ricardo

Postby Captain Swing » Thu May 28, 2009 1:34 am

Captain Swing wrote:
I remember the first year i went to Samois in '92 on the coach from Liverpool, Loads of great stuff filmed both on & off stage, incuding a cracking jam between Romane & the then 12yr old Jimmy Rosenberg, & also some Gary Potter with both those two.

I've got some of the best video footage transferred to dvdr, & also some cracking stuff from Holland '91 & '92. (Stochelo, Bireli, Jimmy etc...)

Following up on this, i've decided put some of the better stuff up on YouTube over the coming days/weeks.
*Puts on Barry Norman voice:
Here's a clip of Jimmy Rosenberg & Gary Potter, which brings me rather neatly i thought, back to the original on-topic discussion about plectrums. (Sorry Teddy) ;)
Poor Jimmy is having a few plectrum problems here!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/80xNyLu5ivQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/80xNyLu5ivQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Meanwhile, you can see the other clips that i've uploaded on my YouTube page HERE.
More to come, in time. 8)
Captain Swing

Postby Thrip » Thu May 28, 2009 10:36 am

It seems hardware obsession has always been around:
Attachments

06 My First Concert Guitar copy.mp3 [ 6.59 MiB | Viewed 9682 times ]

Thrip

Postby Jono » Thu May 28, 2009 1:51 pm

Phew! I'm away for a couple of days and I miss a 'plectrum' thread develop into a rant about gear obsession, a comparison of this site with Djangobooks, a heartfelt eulogy to Teddy's presence (then a response praising Cabo in a similar manner), misty-eyed nostalgia for Samois' past, the merits of working from existing TAB over transcribing something yourself and some nice video clips!

So some good did come of a gear-related thread then? :wink:

I didn't post any comments about the Teddy/Spatzo clip, but then I get fed up reading loads of comments all along the same lines of "Wow, that's amazing" after video postings. I just watch them, think "Wow, that's amazing" and then move on, unless it prompts a question of some kind that I think someone here could answer. I'm still very grateful that they've been posted.
They may be drinkers, Robin, but they're still human beings.
Jono

Previous

Return to Guitars picks and strings etc..